PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about my process/products

nighthawkcoupe
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey everyone- I have a couple of questions regarding the results of my first couple details and some questions about products.

First off, the cars I have worked with are an 08 accord coupe-nighthawk black and an 08 civic-royal blue.

For both vehicles, I used Megs D151 via a white 5.5" LC pad on a 7424. I basically spread the polish at speed three, and moved it up to 5-6 to work the polish for about 3 minutes per 2`x2` area. I started with moderate pressure and slowly eased up as I worked the polish until I was using little/no pressure. This process combined with Sonus SFX-1 on a 4" pad for RIDS allowed me to do some decent correction for a beginner.

HOWEVER- I am not completely happy with the finish. The cars look better than they ever have-but just not as "wet" or glossy as I would like. Upon really close inspection, I ended with some minor hazing/micromarring which I think is holding me back from a REALLY great finish.

So here are my questions- Is this micromarring a result of my process (if so, what should I try), or is it because the honda paint is so soft?

Now that I removed most of the swirls, I am looking for a product to maintain and really improve the finish without hazing. I was looking at M205 and would be happy to buy it if need be-but there are much cheaper alternatives I don`t want to overlook. How does M80 compare? Will this leave me a similar finish via a DA?

I know this was a long read-thanks in advance for any help.

nighthawkcoupe
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Also, would it make sense to go with M80, then top it with NXT 2.0, or will the cleaning properties of the NXT remove the oils from the M80?

GS4_Fiend
06-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Start with the least aggressive method first instead of compounding. Since your paint is soft, I would suggest going for Menzerna P0203S (light cut) on 4" LC Green pad. Since your paint color is black, you should follow it with P085RD on LC Blue to remove the haze and micro marring from the first step polish. GL.

craigdt
06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Start with the least aggressive method first instead of compounding. Since your paint is soft, I would suggest going for Menzerna P0203S (light cut) on 4" LC Green pad. Since your paint color is black, you should follow it with P085RD on LC Blue to remove the haze and micro marring from the first step polish. GL.

None of the polishes he posted there are compounds. The D151 is the paint reconditioning creme from Meguiars, which is about as aggressive, or a bit less, than the 203S that you recommended. The SFX1 is about as aggressive as SIP.

The #80 has just about the same cut as the 151, but since I havent used it, I cant really say if it really fits into your process. It sounds as if you are working the 151 correctly, but since the Honda paint is so soft you may want to try a dedicated finishing polish, such as 85RD that Fiend recommended.

You could try the 205 but it wont really "maintain" the finish like a good LSP will.

One good option to try is the sampler bottles at Auto Detailing Solutions -- Meguiar`s Car Wax, Auto Polish & Detailing Supplies Store (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com). I got some D151 and 205 and 105 for less than $10 a peice to give em a try.

Good luck

Edit: Heres the link to a abrasives chart which will help to give you a good idea where your polishes fit in

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/117350-new-abrasives-chart.html

nighthawkcoupe
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I should have been more clear, by "maintain" I really just meant I need a polish to somewhat regularly remove very light marring and bring the car to a nice finish. The D151 is probably too strong to use constantly. I always use an LSP after polishing, usually NXT 2.0.

Maybe I will try out the 205 or optimum poliseal, just wanted to see if there were cheaper alternatives.

Would it be wise to first try the D151 on a red pad?

craigdt
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Well since 151 adds some protection and is an All In One" its really not *that* agressive. Its about the same as 205. But the thing with the abrasive technology that they both use, is that you can determine the amount of cut by the pressure you put on the pad.

I enjoy Poorboy`s SSR1 to remove light marring and add a nice glossy finish. However, the more expensive and probably better alternatives are Menz 85RD and 3M Ultrafina.

Itl be interesting to see what others have to say on the matter.

nighthawkcoupe
06-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks, I`ll look into the SSR1. A number of people on here have said that D151 finishes real nicely on honda paint- If I didn`t do anything wrong I`m wondering if its the wax in the D151 acting as a filler?

I noticed also that the original scratchX has a cut similar to SSR1 and some other finishing polishes. I still have some of this from when I was even more of a noob and did everything by hand. For some reason, this stuff isn`t recommended on a DA-would this work ok via 7424 as a finishing polish or no? Am I comparing apples to oranges?

craigdt
06-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I really havent worked with it enough to address the honda paint issue. I used it on a couple Chevy clears which were somewhat harder.

In the past, I used ScratchX and hated it. I have heard of others using it by DA and it seemed to work ok. You could try it out for just a few bux and see if it works for you.

nighthawkcoupe
06-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks again craig for your help.