PDA

View Full Version : Microfibers cause scratching?

Pages : [1] 2

Cholleman
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I know it`s probably bilge, but I ran across a discussion on another forum about MFs. the jist is that they`re 80% plastic (polyester and polyamide) and will induce scratching. My take is that it`s probably user error (dirty towels, contaminants, etc) but just wanted to know what autopia thought. here`s the excerpt:

"Using Microfiber to clean your car:

Those answers mean I step on a few toes, even my own, when it comes to

products. Many of the products that were safe to use on a vehicle 3 years ago are not safe on newer cars due to a change in paint. Many of the products being sold to clean a vehicle will damage the sealant on your vehicle over time.

Unfortunately by the time it`s noticeable the damage has already happened and there is no undo key built into a vehicle.

Caution about cleaning with microfiber:

Industrial paint and sealant manufacturers warn against washing your vehicle with the popular microfiber products. They are made from 80 to 85% polyester & polyamide, which is plastic. Plastic scratches and over time and repeated use they will scratch the sealant off your car and then start on the paint. Your car` paint will begin oxidizing even though you have taken excellent care of your vehicle.

Due to VOC regulations, paint is now being changed from lead based to water based. The paint is not as hard as it has been in the past. Even though sealants are applied over the paint to protect it, if the sealant is scratched

off due to microfiber or the wrong kind of petroleum distillate being used in a wax, the paint is then left vulnerable to rapid oxidation, rust and deterioration. I sell microfiber cloths and do not want you using something

that I know will damage your sealant over time. At a large industrial trade show I had microfiber manufacturing companies verify this information.

If your vehicle is a 2002 or prior to 2002 using 100% cotton is safe and does a great job cleaning safely without scratching. If your vehicle is newer than 2002 then 100% Lambswool is recommended. It is even softer and gentler than cotton." Unquote

Preventing paintwork damage & swirls - Microfiber towels - MBWorld.org Forums (http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/303972-preventing-paintwork-damage-swirls-microfiber-towels.html)

Accumulator
06-22-2009, 10:37 AM
I know it`s probably bilge, but I ran across a discussion on another forum about MFs. the jist is that they`re 80% plastic (polyester and polyamide) and will induce scratching. My take is that it`s probably user error (dirty towels, contaminants, etc) but just wanted to know what autopia thought...

IMO it`s a mix of fact and fiction, with a whole lot of over-generalization. So yeah, "bilge" pretty well sums up its overall value. OK, I`ll waste some time countering it....

here`s the excerpt:

"Using Microfiber to clean your car:

Those answers mean I step on a few toes, even my own, when it comes to

products. Many of the products that were safe to use on a vehicle 3 years ago are not safe on newer cars due to a change in paint...

Too generalized. Some paints are harder, some are softer, some are the same.

Many of the products being sold to clean a vehicle will damage the sealant on your vehicle over time.

Even if this were true you could just apply more sealant/wax. Oh, but he later implies that post-2002 paintwork has some kind of "sealant" (different use of the word from what we`d generally think of" that provides the real protection...something on top of the clearcoat. Never heard of that and I`ve discussed such stuff with people who work with this stuff at the OEM level.

Unfortunately by the time it`s noticeable the damage has already happened and there is no undo key built into a vehicle..

Wow, that`d have to be some awfully bad damage that somehow escaped notice until it was too late

Caution about cleaning with microfiber:

Industrial paint and sealant manufacturers warn against washing your vehicle with the popular microfiber products. They are made from 80 to 85% polyester & polyamide, which is plastic. Plastic scratches and over time and repeated use they will scratch the sealant off your car and then start on the paint. Your car` paint will begin oxidizing even though you have taken excellent care of your vehicle.

The blend is only one (small) part of the equation. The better MFs are soft enough that they don`t cause scratches due to the extremely small-gauge/fine strands. If they take off the sealant (huge "if" IMO as the never do it for me) put more on. Don`t leave the paint exposed and you won`t have to worry about such stuff.

Rub most automotive paint with a high-quality MF. Inspect with magnification. You won`t see any damage. Yeah, there are "stupid-soft" paints that *will* mar, but they`ll mar worse with cotton or lambswool.

Due to VOC regulations, paint is now being changed from lead based to water based. The paint is not as hard as it has been in the past.

As previously noted, inaccurate due to over-generalization. Some are harder, some are softer, some are the same.

Even though sealants are applied over the paint to protect it, if the sealant is scratched off due to microfiber or the wrong kind of petroleum distillate being used in a wax, the paint is then left vulnerable to rapid oxidation, rust and deterioration.

Any sealant/wax/whatever needs redone now and then anyhow.

I sell microfiber cloths and do not want you using something

that I know will damage your sealant over time. At a large industrial trade show I had microfiber manufacturing companies verify this information.

I don`t accept his implied claim of expertise and cedibility nor am I impressed by his attempt at aligning himself with other experts. Uhm..the "MF companies", who are selling their MFs for use on automotive paint, *verified* that those MFs aren`t safe :think: I don`t believe that, lets see documentation.

If your vehicle is a 2002 or prior to 2002 using 100% cotton is safe and does a great job cleaning safely without scratching. If your vehicle is newer than 2002 then 100% Lambswool is recommended. It is even softer and gentler than cotton."

I have vehicles of various vintages, from old single stage lacquer to post-2002 (to pick his date ;) ) basecoat/clearcoat. Some are hard, some are soft.

I have all sorts of textiles, cotton, MF, sheepskin/lambswool. Some are soft, some are not. My better MFs are by far the softest of these.

Plenty of seemingly *VERY* soft cotton textiles will mar automotive paint. It`s often clearly visible under magnification. Automotive International used to have some great macro shots showing this. If you rub my older cars with the softest cotton, you`ll mar certain surfaces, if you rub them with the softest MF you won`t..same story with *most* of my vehicles regardless of vintage; gee, guess how I know.

Some textiles will mar some paint, some other combos don`t result in marring. Just that simple. But when in doubt, use the softest MFs you can get.

imported_FJF
06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Preventing paintwork damage & swirls - Microfiber towels - MBWorld.org Forums (http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/303972-preventing-paintwork-damage-swirls-microfiber-towels.html)

Did anyone read the thread? What a hoot! :2thumbs:

GS4_Fiend
06-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Accumulator is very knowledgeable in detailing...

Setec Astronomy
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I know it`s probably bilge, but I ran across a discussion on another forum about MFs. the jist is that they`re 80% plastic (polyester and polyamide)

See, that right there is completely wrong...they`re 100% plastic.

Dsoto87
06-22-2009, 03:14 PM
What a dumb post. Accumulator pretty much summed everything up. Its just one big generalization.

The thread is pretty dumb also. You got people saying "OH NO IVE BEEN USING MF SINCE THE DAY I GOT THE CAR!!!

Its like, why is someones post (who doesn`t state his credentials on why he`s an MF expert) going to pursuade you to stop using it now? If there has been no damage than what`s the problem? And if there is damage, why didn`t you stop using them before?

Than you got people saying they wash the car by pouring water over a spot on the car and wiping the dirt away. Its definitely not the mf that`s causing the damage there. If anything, the mf has probably helped keep the damage down by wicking some of the smaller grit up into its fibers.

Ill be sticking with my MFs thankyou

DM101
06-22-2009, 03:52 PM
If the post was true there would be a massive negative threads about MF`s.........

wannafbody
06-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I`ve used some name brand MF that definitely leave micromarring. On a lighter color it would probably never be noticed.

SpoiledMan
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I`ve used some name brand MF that definitely leave micromarring. On a lighter color it would probably never be noticed.

Same here. Some are so popular here that you`d be plastered to the wall for mentioning them.

Envious Eric
06-22-2009, 07:32 PM
costco blue towels were my go to....I cant find them anymore....might need to order some more monster fluffy jr. from patrick at exceldetail! I use the one he gave me the other day finally and WOW is all I can say!!!! but at the pricetag, costco looks better!!!

heard mixed reviews on some other MF i hvae that I am trying out, so I will have to wait an see about those!!!

bucket
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
My edgeless Cobras are fantastic.

I think most microfiber problems arise from user error and/or low quality microfibers.

RAZR7
06-22-2009, 08:24 PM
This is funny.

Chicagoareanew
06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I know someone who swears that cotton is the only thing to use on cars. She says that polyester scratches. I didn`t believe it, though.

Dsoto87
06-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Just like MF, quality varies with cotton. Cheap cotton/mf will scratch, period.

Mr.Jenkins
06-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Please tell, I have a Black 2010 camaro on its way. I have bought cobra

MF`s....How about a PM ,please....I am new to detailing and I DONT wont

to mar this baby up.