PDA

View Full Version : First Machine use... expert opinion requested

imported_Danbo56
06-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Howdy... I`m about to make the leap from hand detailing to a machine. (I used to use a rotary polisher back in the dark ages of lambs wool, red compound and Simonze... the `70`s. Sheeze.... things have changed!!! ).... So I got myseld a new Porter Cable 7424 and a bunch of pads ( orange, blue, gray, black, white).

I have a `07 Lemans Blue Z06 with 4000 miles. I clayed is with Mothers clay and Pincale Paint Cleansing lotion. I have very few scratches and almost no swirl. At this point I would usually hand polish with Mothers Sealer and Glaze then 2 coats os PS-21. I`d like to try my new machine, but I`m not sure what pad or product shoud be next? Sonus SFX-2 with a blue pad? White pad?... McGuires Show Car Glaze..... then PS-21 by hand??? :think:

Ugh too many choices!!

thx

SuperBee364
06-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the choices can be a bit overwhelming, but your choice in cars (very sweet, BTW :) ) helps to limit it some. Your car has extremely *hard* clear coat on it. I would recommend that you look in to the following products, as they work very well on hard clear coats...

For abrasive defect/swirl removal and polishing...

1. Meguiars M105 for heavier defects and swirl removal. Some guys might say Menz Super Intensive Polish (it used to be my fav on really hard clears, too), but IMO M105 is much easier to use than SIP and will give you better results since you`re using a DA type machine

2. Menzerna PO106FF or FA. This polish is specifically formulated for hard clear coats. You would use this after the M105, or anytime you have very light defects to get out. This polish will finish down to a nice gloss.

3. Menzerna PO85RD. This polish is not meant to correct defects or swirls. This stuff is just about functionally non-abrasive (as far as correcting paint goes), but again is formulated for hard clear coats. It will finish down to an *amazing* gloss, and is, IMO, the very best finishing polish in the world for hard clear coats.

If you car doesn`t have much in the way of swirls or defects, go after it with a zero bite pad (LC grey, blue, black, red) and the PO106FF. Remember that your clear is hard, hard, hard. Add the fact that you`re using a DA polisher (which isn`t as powerful as a rotary), and you have a recipe for *a lot* of work. Expect to have to do multiple applications to see a visible improvement. Don`t give up, though, cause the results are stunning if you put the time and effort into it.

If you get a chance, post a few pics?? I haven`t seen that color yet. :)

imported_Danbo56
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Thank you. That`s the kind of info I need!

Right now... the car and paint are fresh... but "track days" are brutal on the paint and require a good rehab session afterwards....

Some Pic`s from VIR last weekend.

SuperBee364
06-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Gorgeous. Great idea with the blue tape, btw. You might want to consider a 3m invisible bra, too.

Man, that`s a beautiful car.

imported_Danbo56
06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah.... the blue tape works, but is pretty trashy looking... even on the track!! Is the 3 M stuff easy to apply?