PDA

View Full Version : Need a glass polish

Chicagoareanew
06-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Unfortunatly, it`s been raining a lot, and who knows what else has happened to my windows. My side mirrors are horrible. My windshield has weird drip marks, too. Nothing has helped so far. I`ve used SC clearly better, and a no-name brand foam that is really strong. I think it`s time to get a glass polish. And, from now on I think I`m giving up the brand name cleaners in favor of alcohol mixed with water.

But for now, that`s not going to be enough. So, I searched for glass polish, and there really isn`t much posted about them. Autoglym was recommended in one random post, but I think it`s time to get everyone`s thoughts about glass polish rather than just buy Autoglym without second thought. Lusso makes a glass polish, but I haven`t heard anything about it, good or bad. I don`t know who else makes a polish off the top of my head, so I`ll just leave it there. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

GoudyL
06-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I`ve used Rain-X "Xtreme Clean" which is a creamy glass polish (looks like a creamy polishing compound), and it works very well.

Rain-X®: Xtreme Clean TM (http://www.rainx.com/Products/Plastic_Headlight/Xtreme_Clean.aspx)

I first preclean the glass with Invisible Glass, and then apply the Xtreme-Clean on a shop towel, and polish till it turns clear, then rinse off with Invisible glass and distilled water. It`s gets the glass amazingly clean, and perhaps depressingly clean, since now you can see all the rockchips etc on your windshield.

IIRC, Forrest Tosie recomended using Mother`s Chrome Polish as a glass polish noting that the rockwell hardness of glass and chrome plate were similar. I think you could find that post in the autopia archives.

Bunky
06-21-2009, 07:09 AM
I have used a product called A-MAZ. It is a thick paste that can remove soap scum (used it on some shower glass) and water spots on the glass. For A-MAZ to work, you need a clean terry towel and lots of pressure or use a DA with pressure (used 4-in orange pad) but you have to clean the pad after every section. I had tried DP`s Glass Polish and PB`s Pro Polish and I could not get a technique that worked.

Mike Phillips, Meg`s guy soon to be AG guy, always recommend Meg`s M04 as a glass polish but I have never used it.

jDizzle
06-21-2009, 07:33 AM
duragloss nu glass is available otc at some federated autoparts, and does a great job.

DM101
06-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Bon-ami works great. Make a paste. Will not scratch. Find at any grocery store

Cleaning Fool
06-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Autoglym flashes way to fast, barely any work time. Duragloss Nu Glass smokes Auotglym in every aspect. I`ve tested both extensively. My pick : Duragloss Nu Glass and its only about $8.

Chicagoareanew
06-21-2009, 04:37 PM
My closest Federated Autoparts is over 20 miles away. Do you know if it`s carried anywhere else, like Walmart, Pep Boys, Autozone, ect?

jDizzle
06-21-2009, 05:36 PM
for nu glass? nope.. some napas,and i think carquest? mabye.

citizen arcane
06-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Bon-ami works great. Make a paste. Will not scratch. Find at any grocery store

:up

I got mine at Lowes.

imported_Satinsilver
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
My closest Federated Autoparts is over 20 miles away. Do you know if it`s carried anywhere else, like Walmart, Pep Boys, Autozone, ect?

If you go to Duragloss Car Care Products (http://www.duragloss.com) click on retailers to see what other stores carry it around you. You can also order online. It appears shipping is a flat $5 charge no matter how much or little you order.