PDA

View Full Version : Starting a mobile detailing service

Pages : [1] 2

stepup.stepout
06-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Hello there, this is my first post in this forum, though I`ve been lurking here for awhile haha.

Anyways, due to a poor economy , my job at target not giving me ANY hours, and almost no jobs being posted in my city for a teenager (I have put over 100 applications out) I have decided to start a mobile detailing business to help make car payments and pay for gas for my BMW, and my parents are totally open to the idea. My parents are loaning me 1000$ to start it up and I will pay them back monthly with my earnings. This is the list of things I am planning on buying:

Pressure washer

200 gallon holding tank

CRSpotless system

Electrical pump

Misc chemicals from chemical boys , MF towels, etc etc... (though I have most of these, I will probably buy in bulk)

Pop up canopy

Carpet extractor (though this could wait)

What I already have:

Excursion that i would be able to use full time to carry materials

Generator to power pump for deionized water and other powered

Dual action random orbital (Meguiars G110)

Dry/Wet Vac

I will be posting up flyers for advertisement, and I might put up an ad in the local newspaper later on (Word of mouth is also great!:clap:)

Now for some questions:

Is there anything else that I`m missing?

Would a mobile detailing job be possible with a 1000$ budget?

What services should I first advertise?

Whats a good pressure washer that I could buy in my budget?

Where could I buy a water holding tank about that size?

DefiningDetails
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
All you need now is the knowledge of how to use all the stuff you`re about to buy! Just FYI, while starting up a `car wash` operation is relatively simple, starting up a `detailing` business isn`t; and if you plan on actually using that G110 on your list, I would strongly advise that you practice for a few weeks or even months on your personal vehicles before taking it anywhere near a paying customers car, who has no idea you just bought the thing and have never used it...

Good luck...

stepup.stepout
06-20-2009, 08:37 PM
All you need now is the knowledge of how to use all the stuff you`re about to buy! Just FYI, while starting up a `car wash` operation is relatively simple, starting up a `detailing` business isn`t; and if you plan on actually using that G110 on your list, I would strongly advise that you practice for a few weeks or even months on your personal vehicles before taking it anywhere near a paying customers car, who has no idea you just bought the thing and have never used it...

Good luck...

Yeah, I do know a little paint correction, though I wont be using it any time soon on customers cars :P

jeteast99
06-21-2009, 01:07 AM
forget the tank and pressure washer, just use ONR

stepup.stepout
06-21-2009, 02:13 AM
I would be offering ONR to anyone who wants it, but I dont think everyone would want it, preferring a classic wash.

Aesop F1
06-21-2009, 08:51 AM
I would be offering ONR to anyone who wants it, but I dont think everyone would want it, preferring a classic wash.

Its on you to sell your product line.

Got Wax
06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
IME, really depends on your target market. On our clients w/ highline cars, 100% of them have come from referral. I don`t believe many folks are willing to hand over their $200k+ car for a $2000+ detail to someone they found on the net, Yellow Pages, etc.

Also, while ONR serves its purpose and has its place, I have far more clients that prefer the "Classic Wash" over a "Waterless Wash".

Just my 2 cents!

Andy

Driven Auto Detail
06-21-2009, 10:54 AM
...my job at target not giving me ANY hours, and almost no jobs being posted in my city for a teenager (I have put over 100 applications out) I have decided to start a mobile detailing business to help make car payments and pay for gas for my BMW, and my parents are totally open to the idea. My parents are loaning me 1000$ to start it up and I will pay them back monthly with my earnings....

To me, it sounds like you just don`t have your priorities right. A teenager driving a BMW that he`s making payments on and trying to just pay for gas and now his parents are loaning him money that he will pay back with earnings he hasn`t yet earned? Something doesn`t add up here. :think:

My one piece of advice would be to read this book: Dave Ramsey`s Total Money Makeover

I`m sure my post isn`t what you want to hear, but read the book and then see what you think of my post. :2thumbs:

stepup.stepout
06-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I have been making payments to my parents, its just that money from my current job isn`t coming in as fast as I would like it to at my current job at Target, so after paying my parents back for my car/gas I`m barely breaking even. So, my parents are allowing to loan me some money to purchase equipment for some entrepreneurial work that has better work than some dead end job.

edit:

Also, i am still trying to figure out my target market with pricing and such. I know I am not going to be doing any high end cars any time soon, so what I`m just going to plan on doing before doing any major work is getting my name out there for people to recognize my services.

imported_Jakerooni
06-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok the issue I see is you`re really trying as hard as you can to live outside of your means. Unless you own the target franchise there you shouldn`t be trying to drive a BMW and work at target. The one definatly dosen`t pay for the other. (unless we are talking about a craptastic old POS BMW found on some corner lot somewhere with half a million miles on it) But that`s my little soap box ditty. Adding some extra income by detailing is a good source of revenue as long as you really know what you`re doing there. If you got the skills (and it sounds like you have the time) start with a couple of freinds cars and do referal work. The issue obviously is you only have $1000 for this venture. I spent over $15,000 on my initial set up and I still didn`t have anywhere near everything I wanted. You can drop $1000 on just products in a heartbeat and not blink because it will all come in one small box. So you defiantly have to be very smart with what you start out with. Ask around a bit and see what people around you are interested in. If they want to see clean interiors but don`t really care much about swirls and micro-marring removal skip on the paint correction stuff and focus on Interior`s and visa-versa. Skip the machines all together right now and buy quality stock. You already have the G110. You don`t need a PW or a Carpet Extractor. They are nice and make the job easier but you can definatly get by without for now. Good luck.

stepup.stepout
06-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok the issue I see is you`re really trying as hard as you can to live outside of your means. Unless you own the target franchise there you shouldn`t be trying to drive a BMW and work at target. The one definatly dosen`t pay for the other. (unless we are talking about a craptastic old POS BMW found on some corner lot somewhere with half a million miles on it) But that`s my little soap box ditty. Adding some extra income by detailing is a good source of revenue as long as you really know what you`re doing there. If you got the skills (and it sounds like you have the time) start with a couple of freinds cars and do referal work. The issue obviously is you only have $1000 for this venture. I spent over $15,000 on my initial set up and I still didn`t have anywhere near everything I wanted. You can drop $1000 on just products in a heartbeat and not blink because it will all come in one small box. So you defiantly have to be very smart with what you start out with. Ask around a bit and see what people around you are interested in. If they want to see clean interiors but don`t really care much about swirls and micro-marring removal skip on the paint correction stuff and focus on Interior`s and visa-versa. Skip the machines all together right now and buy quality stock. You already have the G110. You don`t need a PW or a Carpet Extractor. They are nice and make the job easier but you can defiantly get by without for now. Good luck.

Yeah ahha I know what you mean with he whole target/BMW thing, but with 178k miles on it I got it for decently cheap, plus I make the car payments on time so that really isn`t an issue (honestly, it was the cheapest car we could find without it being on cinder blocks). Anyways, I totally understand the part that 1000$ is a bit stringent. Thats just the amount that my parents are loaning me. I also have about 2-400$ that ive been saving ever since I started at target just for special occasions so I would be able to use that as well. Definitely the carpet extractor will be put on hold, I wasn`t planning on buying that any time soon in the first place. The pressure washer I was kind of hoping on buying, though, though if it really isnt needed that something i could skip on.

About gaining a target demographic, there is a number of people in my parent`s jobs that are willing to spread the word about my business because they have seen the work done, and they are willing to let me detail their cars as well. By the way I really appreciate the criticism:)

Aesop F1
06-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Ye Anyways, I totally understand the part that 1000$ is a bit stringent. Thats just the amount that my parents are loaning me. I also have about 2-400$

I started Premier Detailing with $700. The hard part was all the money I made had to go right back into the business so it could continue growing. If I were you I would be ordering 32oz product sizes and trying to get 1 detail a week and ordering more products. Slowly build the business and gaining clients while getting your money for bills on someone else`s dime.

DetailnByDustn
08-08-2009, 02:05 AM
I started Premier Detailing with $700. The hard part was all the money I made had to go right back into the business so it could continue growing. If I were you I would be ordering 32oz product sizes and trying to get 1 detail a week and ordering more products. Slowly build the business and gaining clients while getting your money for bills on someone else`s dime.

I agree, Im using my dads shop right now, light bill and water bill is his to pay, I can detail around four cars a week, two typical and two correction jobs, around 60 hours plus, I started off with basics and worked my way up, buy a pc, chemicals, lights, tshirts are a good way to advertise, word of mouth is the best, website is good to have, the biggest thing thats help me is autopia, if it wasnt for these guys I would still be waxing by hand haha which takes twice as long then using a pc. Review, Study, Review, Practice, Save, Spend, Save, Save, Spend, the more that you can put back into your business the better, dont buy products because they look cool or because you think you may use it, buy products that autopias say that work, and buy them only if you need ex: 32oz bottle of Compound, if your like me I only use about a 32oz bottle every two months, depending on customer flow, which right now is really good. Check for sales, and dont over stock when sales are going. Set your prices a little low starting out to try to compete with other detailers in your area, mine are very low for what I do, I do this so my name can get out their, later on Im going to start a llc, with a different name, and also go with mobile detailing and more employes, right now I have me and one of my friends I pay $10/h right now just for summer, Try to learn from a professional in your area, Im going next week to talk to a boy in fletcher, nc thats been doing detailing for almost 25 years, probably one of the best detailers in wnc. Knowledge is the key!

stepup.stepout
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Bah, up from the dead. Well, I have most of my equipment ready to go, I just need to begin advertising. How do I go about doing this? I`ve detailed a few friend`s cars and they said they would recommend them to their friends, but I would like to hit the market about my services. It also helps that my brother`s friend`s stepfather is a mobile detailer. I job shadowed him for a few months and he taught me a great deal. I just did some correction work and a detail on my friend`s 20-year old Volvo 740 yesterday (It has been raining all day today, I died a little inside after all the work I put into his car). It was moderately oxidized. Here are some before/after pictures:

Before:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/bob1958/DSC01577.jpg

After:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/bob1958/DSC01578.jpg

I couldn`t get that scratch out of the paint, it was too deep for my DA.

GK Auto Spa
05-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Hello there, this is my first post in this forum, though I`ve been lurking here for awhile haha.

Anyways, due to a poor economy , my job at target not giving me ANY hours, and almost no jobs being posted in my city for a teenager (I have put over 100 applications out) I have decided to start a mobile detailing business to help make car payments and pay for gas for my BMW, and my parents are totally open to the idea. My parents are loaning me 1000$ to start it up and I will pay them back monthly with my earnings. This is the list of things I am planning on buying:

Pressure washer

200 gallon holding tank

CRSpotless system

Electrical pump

Misc chemicals from chemical boys , MF towels, etc etc... (though I have most of these, I will probably buy in bulk)

Pop up canopy

Carpet extractor (though this could wait)

What I already have:

Excursion that i would be able to use full time to carry materials

Generator to power pump for deionized water and other powered

Dual action random orbital (Meguiars G110)

Dry/Wet Vac

I will be posting up flyers for advertisement, and I might put up an ad in the local newspaper later on (Word of mouth is also great!:clap:)

Now for some questions:

Is there anything else that I`m missing?

Would a mobile detailing job be possible with a 1000$ budget?

What services should I first advertise?

Whats a good pressure washer that I could buy in my budget?

Where could I buy a water holding tank about that size?

For starters,you don`t need an electric pump if you get a good commercial Pressure Washer. I reccommend RIGID 3300psi which is more half the money you have.

The canopy thing is where im at with my initial start up. I went out Friday and didn`t have one & couldn`t setup nowhere because there was NO earthly shade to work from.

Like the other guy said buy in small quantities & do referals. That sound like a smart idea!:2thumbs:

Also HOME DEPOT rent out generators/pressure washers. $60 a day In my case trhat wouldn`t work because no one knows me or knows my business exist. I don`t know your client base,but if you have pre scheduled some details it could work in your favor.

GOOD LUCK!!:hifive: