PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/7424 - Pad ????`s

jimmy2x
06-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Received a PC7424 for Father`s Day - have never used one and have to buy pads. Included was a 6" Lake Country backing plate.

1. Car as a 2008 4Runner - Salsa Red. Car is garaged in SE PA when not in use - 9200 miles. No swirls as has either been hand-washed per Autopia instructions or gone thru a no-touch car wash. Two scratches in fron bumper about 1.5" long and deep enough to catch a fingernail - probably from thrown rocks - I am assuming that these would have to be professionally repaired.

2. After reading and gaining just enough knowledge to be dangerous, I went with the Klasse twins with Sonus wash and QD. Very happy with this combination and it has lasted a year.

3. Would rather not spend a lot of cash, but do not want junk either. Is the 6" backing plate too big? Which pads do I need to get and how many of each?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I really do not want to screw up the finish.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-21-2009, 09:05 AM
My preference is using 5.5" pads with a 5" BP. I used to use 6.5" pads (6" BP).....but I didnt know any better either, that was quite a while back (and I still dont know anything, lol) I think you get much more polishing concentration, and a better display of power using the smaller pads. Ive even done a few cars using 4" pads?!

Once you do get swirls and such, your going to have to find a polish which contains abrasives as AIO is non abrasive and totally pad dependent upon swirl removal.

jimmy2x
06-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I really appreciate the reply. If I find (or cause) swirls than I have to use a polish before the AIO? Can you or someone else recommend a couple? Am I correct in assuming that after using the "polish" that I can apply the AIO right over that?

a.k.a. Patrick
06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
One of my favorite ligh tpolishes to use is Optimums Polish II. If I need a little more umph.....I go with Optimum Compound II. Once polished, Klasse AIO will remove any oils which remain (from whatever polish it is you select), and add a little protection. There is no further work needed between polishing and AIO`ing. Although.......You would probably be better off going to a pure protectant vs. a cleaner (AIO) protectant.

jimmy2x
06-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks Patrick - understood. Will get the 5" BP and the polish recommended. Assuming the the LC pads are OK, can you tell me which ones I should get and how many?

a.k.a. Patrick
06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Jimmy, is this for personal use, as in once or twice a year on your own car(s)? If so, probably 2 Orange, 2 White and 1 Red would be suffice.

jimmy2x
06-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Its for personal use on an `08 4RUNNER. As I gain a bit of experience will try to restore the finish on the wife`s `02 Camry which, although much smaller, will require a bit more restoration.