PDA

View Full Version : spray wax vs. QDs

2clueless
06-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Newbie here with a simple question. What`s the main difference in use and purpose between a spray wax like OCW and a QD like OID?

I just happened to be using OCW on my white BMW after every wash and I am ready for a new order. I started reading different forums and came across FK425, OID and a ton of other stuff. That`s when I realized that I was using a wax, while thinking that I was doing a QD as a final step. I guess no harm as the product is good. But now I`m completely confused.:think:

I realize that a spray wax is to protect and the QD is to make it shine (or something). But when do I use which and why? I would like that hard to attain on a white car "wet" look and protection between full professional details.

My car gets a professional correction/wax/seal a couple of times a year, but I hand wash it almost every week.

P21S gel for the wheels,

Adam`s or Meg`s Gold Class in the foam gun,

WW towel to dry it,

then I did OCW on a MF as a finisher.

.... any input?!

:thx

jDizzle
06-20-2009, 11:51 AM
sounds like your doing fine to me.. but to answer ur question. spray wax is supposed to be used on a clean car. QD(which contain lubricants to suspend dust and dirt) sprays can be used on a SLIGHTLY dirty or dusty car, removes stuff like dust and finger prints, some leave protection behind, some dont.. im not a fan of using QD`s to clean my car, id rather wash then spray wax, but thats just me. you`ll get lots of different opinions on this from everyone... if you want a wet look, try some s100 motorcycle wax. you can get it at harley davidson dealers.. its the wettest looking wax ive found, only lasts a couple weeks though.

2clueless
06-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks jDizzle. I`ve read that people use QDs on a wet car after a wash, but before they dry it. What`s that all about?

As far as s100, how easy is it to apply? I like OCW because it`s extremely easy to apply. A few sprays per panel and just wipe away with a MF, done. Feels very smooth and water beads off the car very well. Then again, maybe I`m overdoing it since I wash it once a week and use OCW once a week.

... any more opinions out there????

jDizzle
06-20-2009, 05:26 PM
i havnt heard of a QD to use while drying the car, but it wouldnt hurt anything.. they make spray waxes that can be applied to a wet car, then you dry it and you`ve spray waxed your car.. eagle one`s wax as you dry is pretty nice for an otc that is used like that. s100 is very easy to apply and remove in my opinion. very easy to remove too.. i`ve never used OCW so hopefully someone with experience with it will chime in.

BigAl3
06-20-2009, 07:32 PM
you can`t go wrong with FK425, it`s like getting the best of both worlds (QD and Spray Wax)...

08xB
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Using a little QD during drying offers a little lubricity and to further prevent marring while drying.

itb76
06-21-2009, 06:10 AM
...I`ve read that people use QDs on a wet car after a wash, but before they dry it. What`s that all about?...

I do that. It seems to reduce streaking, prolongs the beading of the wax (although with Collinite that`s not really needed), and makes the windows bead like Rain-x would. Also seems to add some extra gloss. I use OID after most every wash, but will wax every 3-4 months with 845 or CMW depending on the car.

blucpe
06-21-2009, 06:31 AM
i love ocw really an outstanding product imho. i think everyone has answered the question that was asked, not much more to add at this point, but i did want to offer a suggestion, try applying your favorite wax to your car, i like ck`s carnuba moose wax, but you can use whatever wax you like, and buff it off with a sptitz of ocw. i got the idea from scottwax. it gives the wettest look i`ve ever seen. def worth a try.

2clueless
06-21-2009, 07:29 AM
try applying your favorite wax to your car, i like ck`s carnuba moose wax, but you can use whatever wax you like, and buff it off with a sptitz of ocw.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a good idea blucpe, thanks.:thx

Do any of you think that a QD will make the car shinier, closer to that "wet" look, versus a spray wax?

itb76, how are your windshield wipers affected? I apply Aquapel (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDAEVK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product) a couple of times a year, it`s 100x better than Rain-X. Above 40mph I don`t even use wipers.

GeorgesBlazah
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, Im bumping this one. Im trying to find out of any differences in shine when comparing OID to OCW. I know the obvious difference in durability between the two. Ive used OCW with good results, Im just curious if OID really looks better?

dervdave
10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I do find OID has more bling and has a slicker finish than OCW, its seems sharper and more crystal :)