PDA

View Full Version : Final Buffing with Machine?

k-max
06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi there, I was wondering if there is any way to do a "final buffing" after applying a LSP using a machine.

I find when using a carnuba LSP, that it is easy to get most of the residue off with a microfiber towel, but to buff out that last 5% of haze/hologram left by the wax is very labour intesive.

Is it possible to use a machine to take care of this final buffing step? Are there pads for this?

BobD
06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
K-max,

What sort of wax are you using? Most of the quality waxes out there buff off really easy now-a-days.

But yes, you can just use a microfiber bonnet on a random orbital machine to get the residue off. Just be aware that if you have to use a lot of pressure you might also be removing the LSP itself.

k-max
06-19-2009, 12:29 PM
victoria wax red.... goes on real easy, but i find sometimes I get some stubborn holograms coming off.... I was putting it on too thick, which was even worse, but even with thin layers i find a VERY thorough buffing really brings the gloss out in that wax.

so do I put the microfiber bonnet right over a foam pad? is there a special backing plate? I have a flex, so im limited to the factory backing plate....

BobD
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, most bonnets go right over a foam pad.

Accumulator
06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
k-max- Welcome to Autopia!

I find that if I machine-buff I also have to do some by hand. Doesn`t seem to matter which way I do it first, I still have to do it a little the *other* way to get that last ~5% off.

I`ve never used Victoria, but *IIRC* you`re not supposed to let it dry before you buff it off :think: