PDA

View Full Version : Foam applicators?

Chicagoareanew
06-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Isn`t foam the same as sponge? Wouldn`t it scratch? I have foam applicators that have come with carnuba wax, polish, and I have a sealant that says to apply with a foam applicator...is that really ok?

BigAl3
06-18-2009, 11:15 PM
is that really ok?

it will be fine...

GS4_Fiend
06-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Foam applicator is the best tool to apply thin coats with.

shadow85
06-19-2009, 07:22 AM
it will not scratch unless you did a poor job of cleaning it where dirt still remained on the car.

Setec Astronomy
06-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Isn`t foam the same as sponge? Wouldn`t it scratch? I have foam applicators that have come with carnuba wax, polish, and I have a sealant that says to apply with a foam applicator...is that really ok?

Yeah, foam is the same as sponge...sort of. The foam applicators are a very fine pore foam. The reason we don`t like sponges for washing is that generally any grit that is on the car gets trapped at the interface and scratches the surface--a typical kitchen or wash sponge is not like a grout sponge or a foam applicator, and hopefully you are only using the foam applicator on a clean surface.

tmg19103
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I buy them in bulk and use the other side with any discoloring from dirt on the side I start with and throw it out the second the other side shows signs of dirt.

Thus, I generally use one side per wax and get two waxes out of one foam applicator. Yeah, you can wash them, but you might miss something that scratches.

They are only $2 a piece, so that`s $1 a wax. Well worth it to not have to worry about scratches.

When clean, these things will not scratch in the least. Better than microfibers.

Mind you I only have one car. If I were a pro who did a lot of cars, I`d wash them.

Chicagoareanew
06-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. Now I`m totally prepared for this weekend - my first polishing and sealant application!