PDA

View Full Version : Mothers? Budget based detailer...

4x4K1500
11-09-2005, 12:03 AM
for now until Christmas or money arrives I can`t afford any Poorboys or the like products. Also dont have a PC yet.

But can this system be used? in these steps?

After wash and clay
Mother`s Power Polish
Mother`s Power Wax
Mother`s FX SynWax

Mother`s states that the Power Polish should be applied with a random orbital or high speed buffer. I have a Sears random orbital that I got for free can I use that or should I just do it by hand?

I just want to make sure these products can be used together and whether or not one or the other is need or not needed.

Thanks

Hopefully for christmas I`ll be getting a PC along with some Poorboy`s products

bigron62
11-09-2005, 12:09 AM
welcome ....i think you can use the mothers stuff for now but you might want to leave the orbital buffer alone because the pad or bonnet on it might cause alot of scratches. also use lots of lube with the clay and you should be ok

Mikeyc
11-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I think you shouldn`t waiste your time with the Sears buffer. I had one many many years ago and it was worthless. If you haven`t already bought the Mother`s or can return it I wouldn`t go with that line. I think you should buy something designed for use by hand.

4x4K1500
11-09-2005, 07:23 AM
For right now everything is gonna be OTC products. I want to buy everything at once.

I had NXT and it was good. I figured I would try the new Mother`s FX. So What is a good polish by hand? How about one of the 3m Polishes?

budman3
11-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I have used the Mother`s line and it`s really good. It`s super easy to apply and even easier to remove. I haven`t however used the Power Polish by hand- only by PC. If you are sure you are getting a PC and pads in the future you may want to consider just picking up some wax, seal your car and wait on a full detail until you have the right tools. That will actually save you even more money. If not... you`re probably not going to get rid of a lot of defects with the Power Polish. I rate it along the lines of SSR1 and SSR2. Good luck.

Big Leegr
11-09-2005, 09:35 AM
As budman3 said, if you are pretty sure you`ll be getting a PC soon, put off the correction stage and just conceal the issues. For OTC, Mothers is pretty good, IMO. It`s not the cheapest, but I think it`s a good value. FX Synwax is very easy to use (and VERY easy to remove! :w00t: ). It`s a mild cleaner/wax combo. You may want to go with Mothers Sealer and Glaze then cover it with a pure wax like their pure carnauba or Reflections Top Coat if you want to hide light marring. FX will address mild oxidation, so if your car has more oxidation than swirls, maybe just go with FX by itself. You`ll get a shiny car with just one product. Then, once you get a PC, you can concentrate on the defect removal.
Actually, if you are using the Mothers clay kit, it comes with a bottle of cleaner wax. You could just use that for now and then go on the spending spree after you have the PC in your hands. I hear that Meguiar`s also has a new clay kit that comes with a bottle of cleaner wax (Maybe not available to the public yet... it was just announced recently).

4x4K1500
11-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I thought the SynWax was a LSP. So that would mean I could polish it before maybe by hand? But should I apply anything else after a polish or just go to SynWax?

Or what I`m getting is I should just do a Cleaner wax and then top it with the Synwax? Is that right?

Whats a good OTC Cleaner wax?

4x4K1500
11-09-2005, 02:55 PM
What about the Reflection`s line of Mothers is it better than the FX?

I think I`m gonna prolly use the polish with my Random Orbital with some type of Polish and then follow up with SynWax.

BlackSunshine
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM
You could clay, polish, cleaner wax, powerwax or...
clay, polish, Synwax or....
clay, polish, powerwax or...
clay, polish, Synwax, powerwax (assuming no cleaners) or......
as others have said--skip the polish step till you get the right tools, saves time...and alot of it.
Personally if i was using the hand method with your ingredients and the time I would.....
Wash, clay, polish x 2-3, Synwax x 3 (12hrs between each), wax x 3. Follow this by a good QD with protection after every wash and re-apply 1 coat of wax every 4 weeks.

Big Leegr
11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
For OTC, Mothers cleaner wax is good-as I mentioned, you might have it free with the kit anyway. It leaves a clean shiny look, but not overly wet, nor does it darken paint, IMO. Meg`s darkens a bit and looks a little wetter, I think. FX is very shiny/reflective. Very easy application/removal-probably the best all round choice of the 3, I think. I haven`t tried the new Reflections, but I`ve heard it looks more like a carnauba, whereas the FX is shinier. Polishing by hand, with OTC stuff, you may not get showroom results. But, if you are so inclinedto try it, you may want to try either the Mothers or Megs 3 step systems. Both can be used by hand (or with your Sears buffer). For marring, you may want to try either Mothers Scratch Remover or Meg`s Scratch-X. In either case, be prepared to apply repeatedly.
Try to get a foam bonnet for the buffer. You`ll likely get better results.

budman3
11-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah Big Leegr is on the right track with the waxes. I think the FX Synwax is a cleaner wax that will be good as an LSP. I wouldn`t use that buffer at all. Just throw on a coat or two of the Synwax by hand and wait for the PC. You could clay before if you want aswell.

4x4K1500
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Now I understand what everyone is saying, but I talked to a guy who said that he has seen good results when sometimes applying ssr 1 and 2 by hand. But you still dont think a polish like a 3m polish will help by hand.

Ive used the buffer quite a bit and didnt notice any scratches, but I never used it with polish, just with some NXT.

here (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00910723000&bidsite=CRAFT) is the exact one i have I received it for christmas last year from an uncle I still had plans to get a PC. I just blew the money on other stuff.

So besides maybe clay you wouldnt do anything else before FX.

Now Ive got some of that new Turtle Wax, could that be thrown into the mix at all or no?