PDA

View Full Version : Floor Mats - wear spot

jhe888
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Obviously the spot under the driver`s foot on a floor mat will wear much more quickly than the rest of the mat. I have noticed on my newish Toyota that that spot is already getting mashed down, etc.

Is there any way to lessen this?

Take off my shoes to drive? But that isn`t really practical. I don`t wear flip flops all the time.

I have thought of sewing a little piece of leather over that spot. It won`t look great but will look better than a hole or a badly worn spot. The leather could be replaced.

Can I buy just the driver`s side mat and throw it away when it does get too bad to take? (Buying whole sets is expensive, and who needs extra passenger mats?)

Is there some cleaning technique that will raise the mashed nap? Will that help long term, or just make it look better until it finally does get more worn?

salty
06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Buy a different mat or cover it. Once worn it will never look the same.

Dirt in the mat will wear it out much faster.

BobD
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe a set of thin mats to put over it or rubber mats.

Saintlysins
06-17-2009, 12:54 PM
DANASE has already listed one of my suggestions, and that is the rubber mat. I did this on my daily driver and couldn`t be happier. 28K on a Honda Ridgeline and not a wear-spot or depression on the original floor mats. I got a great set of rubber mats from a Ridgeline Owners web-site where they advised on which company had the best fit.

My other suggestion is to order discount replacement mats on line (they`re never the same quality as the factory mats), and use them while you store the factory mat away for the day you sell/return your sled. I did this with the Merc and the P-Car to keep that carpeted finish look that`s not really a big deal on my Ridgeline.

Hope that helps,