PDA

View Full Version : Generic tips for n00b`s from a n00b

GoCubsGo
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
EDIT: Last tipped learned this weekend.

After reading this forum and performing my first detail I put together a few generic hints that may help out other n00b detailers like myself. There are better options out there for a few of these hints, but these worked for me.

If you`re completely unfamiliar with the PC as I was before my first detail, attach the generic backing/white pad that comes with the PC, prime it with any given polish or sealant and try it out on something other than your vehicle (I used the flat surface of an indoor stainless steel garbage can). I went with various speeds, rates and pressures in order to get comfortable with the PC and was much more comfortable using it on my ride for the first time once I did this.

Ensure the extension cord connected to the PC is at least the same gauge as the PC power cord. If not, this will overwork the PC motor and in time cause premature PC burnout.

The “over-shoulder” method works great when utilizing a hose and extension-corded PC.

A supply of Powder-Free Nitrile gloves on hand is a great idea.

A step stool or small bucket to sit on will save your back when working on the lower panels.

A hand pressure pump spray bottle filled with plain water is a great substitute for a hose when rinsing tight areas (door jams, engine bay, etc.).

Dawn Power Degreaser works great for cleaning up the pads after polishing (rinse then spin dry on the PC and lay out on Grit Guards for final air dry).

Grit Guards are also useful to lay out Sheepskin Mitts and sponges to air dry.

Wool-lite and the “gentle” cycle in the washing machine works great for cleaning MF towels (do NOT use fabric softener or dryer sheets and wash the MF towels that have heavy dirt and build up separate from the others).

This may seem like blatant common sense, but I learned this the hard way. If you have a nice wax and decide to `pop` it out of the container and apply it to the applicator be very careful. By definition, wax is slippery.....no kidding Sherlock Holmes (guess I`m still a few credits shy of my Bachelor`s Degree in common sense). I `popped` mine out and proceeded to drop it onto the floor and watch it roll for about 2 feet picking up kinds of debris. I cleaned it up with a toothpick and 15 minutes of effort. In the end I lost about 15% - 20% of my supply (a nice chunk broke off on impact). Live and learn.

Hope this helps a few people out there :buffing:.

02zx9r
06-17-2009, 10:28 AM
good tips thanks

imported_Ol' Red
06-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Good info bud.