PDA

View Full Version : Purple Power as an interior cleaner?

Chops
06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I know I know it`s meant more for cleaning the garage but it looks like tommorrows gonna be a nice day and I wat to give my truck a well deserved quick interior detail. I don`t currently have a good APC at all but I do have a gallon of Purple Power lying around in the garage. If I mixed the Purple Power 15:1 do you think I would do any damage to my interior?

The car in question is a 03 Ford Explorer with a tan cloth interior. The only places that I`m really worried about the PP damaging would be my "leather" wrapped steering wheel and my center console lid.

Also is there any household products I could use in a pinch to clean my carpets/seats? I plan on using the old bucket and shop vac route as well as blowing out the mats real well with my compressor.

(if theres any spelling mistakes etc I don`t care since it`s midnight and i`m dozing off behind the keyboard lol)

PerroneFord
06-16-2009, 11:01 PM
I wouldn`t put that stuff NEAR my interior. Wheels maybe. I had some mixed 10:1 thinking I`d use it as an interior cleaner once. Sprayed some on the door jambs and went to wipe it off and it hazed my paint!

Now I just use it for an undercarriage or engine cleaner. Maybe for tires.

You want to do the interior, go to the local grocery store and get some Woolite. Mix some 20:1 for light cleaning, 8:1 for heavier stuff. Works great.

Lonnie
06-17-2009, 06:59 AM
I`ve used PP to clean dirty vinyl on (you name the sport)-Mom`s vans and on the rubber seals, diluted 10:1. It works well.

One BIG word of caution, though, is that if the seats are leather, I would be careful about getting drips on the leather because it will "remove" the dye if it`s left to dwell on the leather for any length of time. I use an old towel to cover seats and make sure the MF towel I use in the wipe-down is wrung out so as not to drip so much when used for that purpose.

The other cheap over-the-counter APC you might try in Awesome sold at the Dollar Stores. Not as caustic as PP. I`ve had mixed results with it, though.

You can do a search on this forum and see what others have said about both of these products.

Perferd
06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
I would rather try and get the dirt out with more dirt then use PP.

dublifecrisis
06-17-2009, 07:06 AM
I`ve used simple green dilluted like 20:1 on plastic and vinyl interior and it worked great. I even used a soft brush (like a pedicure brush) on dirty areas like where peoples arms are always sitting. As others have saidI would be very cautious about how long it sits and making sure that it`s all removed.

Dilluted woolite like Scoach said works great and it really gentle. works good on plastic, leather, vinyl etc

Chops
06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Well I got called in early to work today so no cleaning the interior today. Are there any real good OTC Apc`s? I`m going to play around today if it dies down and see if I can somehow order some Meg`s APC or APC+ through work (Advance Auto Parts).

If I do find it am I able to post the price and part number here without it being counted as spam? I know I found Collinite 845 the other day (special order/overnite) and its cheaper then any online vendor and it includes free shipping.

02zx9r
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
I would just use water and a mf or terry towel until you get the APC or APC+ or woolite