PDA

View Full Version : Curing Time?

Chops
06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I decided I`d give my black 03 Explorer a quickie wash/clay/wax today. I finished up about 3 hours ago. I went outside a few minutes ago to double check my work and make sure there were no wax swirls left. While doing so I saw there was a little dust on the quarter panel and decided to blow it off. With even the slightest breath it fogs up alot. I then decided to clean up the fog with a microfiber. As I wiped it left "scratches" that I could wipe up.

Could this just be the wax curing? Excessive wax used? Incompatibilty with products?

My process was:

Wash w/ Megs Gold Class Shampoo

Dry

Clay w/ Mother`s Showtime

Wax w/ Megs Gold Class paste wax

GoudyL
06-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I decided I`d give my black 03 Explorer a quickie wash/clay/wax today. I finished up about 3 hours ago. I went outside a few minutes ago to double check my work and make sure there were no wax swirls left. While doing so I saw there was a little dust on the quarter panel and decided to blow it off. With even the slightest breath it fogs up alot. I then decided to clean up the fog with a microfiber. As I wiped it left "scratches" that I could wipe up.

Could this just be the wax curing? Excessive wax used? Incompatibilty with products?

My process was:

Wash w/ Megs Gold Class Shampoo

Dry

Clay w/ Mother`s Showtime

Wax w/ Megs Gold Class paste wax

Probably too much wax. Spray the area with some of the Showtime detailer and then wipe off any mess.

When waxing You want to a apply a very slight amount and then keep spreading it across the panel, back and forth into a smooth, even and level layer.

When you can get a clean swipe, its ready to be buffed off. Usually the solvents in the wax should flash off within 5-7 minutes or so. Some modern waxes can be tricky since they don`t haze as much as traditional waxes do, they will stay oily and pliable for quite a while.

imported_Ol' Red
06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I have heard some clay bars, including Mothers, can leave streaks. I use Meg`s and have never had a problem, and I use the other two products you use-GC wash and GC paste wax.

I use the Smooth Surface Clay Kit FWIW.

Chops
06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
We`ll see tommorrow, but I really doubt it was overwaxing seeing as I put the thinnest coat that I felt was possible

Thats Fresh
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
your layer might have been to thick. maybe not. next time before you swipe, id spray a mist of QD then buff off.

Chops
06-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Hmmm I need to pick up some more QD. It looks like I might just strip down that wax and give it a coat of 845 ( just got it today:woot:)

Accumulator
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Hmmm I need to pick up some more QD. It looks like I might just strip down that wax and give it a coat of 845 ( just got it today:woot:)

I`d just put the 845 on top of what`s already on there.

Saintlysins
06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I`m more caught up with how long your breath left a fog on the surface of the paint?! Where are in the world are you? (Not to sound scolding, but location info in your profile is so key to good answers as weather and atmosphere conditions will always be part of a good answer).

Speculating here; water vapor condensation is a very easy science and I doubt you`re going to get different results from applying QD or 845 when you breathe on it, it fogs again and you wipe it to get `scratches you can wipe off`.

Silly things to check; 1. Are your towels clean and DRY? 2. Are you sure they`re `scratches` and not moisture dragged into fine-lines that appear to be scratches, (this would be why you can easily wipe them away.). 3. Bring a fresh, clean, warm towel and wipe at the fog - see how well that works - if no scratches, then you just have a lot of moisture in the air.

If any of this works (again, I`m speculating), then as the wax cures and hardens, this will become less of a problem.

Hope this helps,

Chops
06-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Sorry I`m new here and still haven`t set up my profile. I`m located in the NE corner of CT. The weathers been in a comfortable range no real humidity.

My towel was fresh and dry out of my clean pile. I have no idea if the "scratches" were moisture related but I know they weren`t actual scratches (hence quotation). All I know was when I woke up this morning there was a fog on the center of the hood that went away after the day heated up and then when I got out of work at 9pm there was the layer of fog on my hood again.