PDA

View Full Version : Suggested leather care for VW Passat

ruleof72
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I`m in need of some new leather cleaner/protectant for my 2004 Passat. I`ve been using the Lexol products but it`s gone so I`m wondering if there`s something better that is still affordable. I clean/condition the leather 3-4 times a year and it`s still in good shape.

What are some suggestions?

Thanks!

judyb
06-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Most leather in cars these days is `coated` leather. This is essentially a `painted` leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating. The simple test as stated above will tell you what type of leather you have.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

`Conditioners`, balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish as you rightly say so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be

Protect from new

Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product

Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps

steelwind101
06-16-2009, 04:32 AM
"`Conditioners`, balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish as you rightly say so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain."

Im always wary of names of products not being there descriptions, esp. in Auto Detailing.

Would you recommend against this product all in one claner protector product?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/steelwind101/1ZleatherCare.jpg

People who represent this company suggest it for modern "clearcoated" leathers.

Thanks

Geoff

Quality Leather
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I wouldn`t use the product. I don`t think wax would make a good protectant on leather, but hey what do I know. My bigger question is the cleaner/conditioner. How can a good cleaner and conditioner co-exist?

steelwind101
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Good point!

I have most products on the market so i got this to try. I have to say, what ever it is or is not good for it does seem to keep leather pretty clean and very soft.

As for the cleaning and conditioning i one go; i dislike this to a point. B/c i can see the applicator change colour but how do i know when i have fully cleaned an area?

One guy on here said he uses it weekly and he is well respected, i have to say from using it seems very good at what it claims to do. Althought the logic of how and why are little confusing!

Geoff

Alex T.
06-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I don`t think that 04 Passat has "real" leather. I have an 02 one and I`m 99% sure that what we have is called leatherette (so basically vinyl). What I do is Simple green/water mix to clean and the 303 to protect. Soon I will be trying the ultima interior guard. Week ago I got the ultima trim stuff and it is AMAZING. Hope that helps.