PDA

View Full Version : Mulitple coats of wax

crupp
06-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Had some spare time this weekend so I put a coat of NXT followed by a coat of FX. Any benefit to both? Seemed to be a differnece after I applied the FX

jDizzle
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
both of them have very mild cleaners if memory serves me right.. so id imagine the fx removed your nxt, and just took its place.. . nxt gives a darker look. FX gives a flashier look ... .. just my opinion

jDizzle
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
general rule of thumb.. you can only layer waxes withough cleaners (they dont claim to remove scratches or swirls).. you could use nxt OR fx as a base, and apply something without cleaners over it (after a curing period) without any cleaners..

crupp
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
both of them have very mild cleaners if memory serves me right.. so id imagine the fx removed your nxt, and just took its place.. . nxt gives a darker look. FX gives a flashier look ... .. just my opinion

Interesting, based on your answer (opinion) I like the look of the FX better. I have a Platinum Silver Metallic paint and don`t need it to be darker.

THinking about ordering the Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0. WOuld you then follow up with a Carnuba type wax like Mothers, etc. Sorry for some nuub question. I thought I knew what I was doing but clearly have alot to learn.

craigdt
06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes you would follow up with a carnuaba. But im not sure what mothers nuba you are referring to.

GoudyL
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
You`re mostly wasting your time in "layering" waxes with cleaning ability on top of each other. The modern synthetic waxes can have quite a decent amount of cleaning power from cyclosilicones and highly lubricated polishing agents.

IMHO you are better off applying one layer of Mothers FX wax and then spraying Lucas Slick Mist on it as a top coat.

crupp
06-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the reponses. This weekend I will try the "proper" steps and see how the car comes out. I had no idea curing was that important.

jDizzle
06-16-2009, 10:11 AM
if you want to put carnuba over the FX you can, id give a little time inbetween coats though, i generally go about an hour, but thats just me. fx does look pretty good on silver btw, so good choice :-) let us know how it goes.

akimel
06-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Meguiar`s recommends two coats of their waxes to effect even coverage. For NXT, the optimal waiting time is 12 hours to allow the cross-linking of the polymers. Meguiar`s would not suggest this waiting time if they believed that the mild cleaners in NXT would simply remove the previously applied layer of NXT.

A lot of stuff gets written about the effectiveness and strength of NXT`s cleaners without any empirical validation or even support from what Meguiar`s officially says about the product.