PDA

View Full Version : ONR, Grout Sponge and Clay = Happy Me

Pages : [1] 2

prix03gt
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
So I have used ONR twice now and I am very impressed. Today I used ONR and a HD Grout Sponge (The one made in Greece) to wash my Accord. I picked up a turtle wax clay kit because at the time, it was the only clay kit I could find in town. So I start claying and about half way through I run out of the included clay lube. No problemo, I just mix up some ONR clay lube and I am back in business. I need to start ordering my clay online, the turtle wax clay seems stiff. Anyway my car looks awesome now, now noticeable marring or swirling other than the little that was there previously. Honestly, the only upsetting thing was all the rock chips and little scratches I found in the finish that I never noticed before. Car is a DD and I use to drive the expressway every day. Finish it pretty banged up, but I guess it could be worse.

So anyway ONR gets my Vote, HD Grout sponge gets my vote, And I`m ordering Clay online from now on, because store purchased clay kits seem to be a ripoff when you have ONR to make clay lube for cheap.

Signed, another ONR Convert :woot:

Dsoto87
06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
You could just clay while your washing. Before you dry clay it. Works great and saves time

prix03gt
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I never thought to do that, but it does make perfect sense. It would save me some ONR and lots of time. Thanks for the tip.

Darkstar752
06-14-2009, 08:16 PM
You could just clay while your washing. Before you dry clay it. Works great and saves time

Do you mean clay and unwashed panel? And what do you mean dry clay? If you clay an unwashed panel, that clay is gonna dirty up fast and mar your paint.

SpoiledMan
06-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Yet another grout sponge convert!

efnfast
06-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Do you mean clay and unwashed panel? And what do you mean dry clay? If you clay an unwashed panel, that clay is gonna dirty up fast and mar your paint.

he meant wash car, (don`t dry), clay, wash again, now dry.

BigAl3
06-15-2009, 03:19 AM
Yet another grout sponge convert!

see what you started chris, lol... :D

WaxManRonnie
06-15-2009, 04:14 AM

I have washed a car before and clayed it while the suds were still on it before rinsing.

Not sure thats a good idea. I think I may have put some fine scratches in

mine doing that. But I can`t say for sure.

prix03gt
06-15-2009, 05:25 AM
My car has a little fine spider webbing that you can see in bright lights or direct sun. No telling how it got there or how long it has been there, but it doesn`t appear to be any worse from the grout sponge or the clay. my car is only about 2 years old, and the clay got dirty very quickly. I was re-shaping the clay multiple times on each section of the car because it got so fouled up. I don`t think the finish is bad enough that I want to invest in a PC just yet. Maybe by next year, it will bug me enough to suck it up and drop the cash on a PC Kit and some decent polishes. For now, it shines, and that`s good enough for me!

Cholleman
06-16-2009, 07:03 AM
i got my ONR yesterday and ran out to pick up a few new microfibers. i have to say i love using it. being able to quickly wash the car in the garage without breaking out the hoses, buckets,etc is awesome. i never would have known about it if not for autopia. thanks!

Dsoto87
06-16-2009, 07:09 AM
To answer the question about claying, your clay won`t be any more dirty than if you clayed the car after you finished washing. Once you clean a panel with onr, the next step is to dry it correct? You shouldn`t be picking up any contaminants with your drying towel. It should have been picked up by your wash media and be at the bottom of your bucket.

The only dirt that should be left on your car before drying is bonded contaminants which will only be removed by claying.

DM101
06-16-2009, 08:20 AM
As for claying I use CLAYBLOCK. Easy to use last longer than clay.

Clay Bar Alternative Elastrofoam Clay Block For Automotive Detailing Paint Restoration And Overspray Removal (http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CLAY%5FBLOCK%5FKIT)

Dsoto87
06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Mdrx how well does it pull contaminants? I want to try one but I don`t see how it can get any easier than normal clay. But if its pulling contaminants quicker/more/with less marring, I might consider it.

shadow85
06-16-2009, 12:58 PM
ONR is formulated to pull dirt away from the car`s finish and into the wash media. So when used correctly, when you dry, the towel is should have minimal to no dirt on it since most of the dirt is already lifted and trapped in the sponge.

Now with claying. I like to go 2 passes with with the sponge to get the panel clean and wet. Then I clay and have a bottle of qd handle just incase there isnt enough lubricity, but not necessary. Now I do 1 more pass with the sponge and then dry. Save time doing a panel at a time like this (IMO).

DM101
06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I have done 2 cars with it. Glides along so smooth. Baby`s bottom finish.

Mdrx how well does it pull contaminants? I want to try one but I don`t see how it can get any easier than normal clay. But if its pulling contaminants quicker/more/with less marring, I might consider it.