PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber SCRATCH my Vette paint!!

jasil
06-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, I thought mitsu paint was crap on my modded EVO!! I sold that car and bought a black Z06 08` and this paint is worse or should I say the clear is worse.

I have 3 name brand MF towels all washed in woolite etc. I`m a nut anyway and slightly damp my towel first before removing wax etc and gues what happens as I remove pinnacle from my car.

SCRATCH, tried another towel SCRATCH, it`s like no matter what hair line scratches appear

Really pissing me off!!

Legacy
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I was under the impression that a Vette`s cc was hard, until I read a post smilar to this. Had this guy pulling hairs. Maybe you need to go to a WOWA sealant like OS or UPGP. Sorry, I can`t give you any other options.

craigdt
06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Are you sure no dust or anything has settled on the surface while you wait to remove the pinnacle?

imported_FJF
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Well, I thought mitsu paint was crap on my modded EVO!!

I have an Evo. No problems at all with the paint. I`m actually surprised that the paintwork remains in its polished state, given my lack of desire to slow down for much.

I sold that car and bought a black Z06 08` and this paint is worse or should I say the clear is worse.

I have 3 name brand MF towels all washed in woolite etc. I`m a nut anyway and slightly damp my towel first before removing wax etc and gues what happens as I remove pinnacle from my car.

SCRATCH, tried another towel SCRATCH, it`s like no matter what hair line scratches appear

Really pissing me off!!

Perhaps there are other issues at play:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/67321-do-i-have-buff-after-every-application.html

Deanski
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Nothing can be softer than Porsche paint and mine is black.

You have to find the best MF towels first, then wash them often only with liquid detergents or MF cleaners and dry correctly.

Problem I see is build up of wax removal that get trapped in the MF and can act like dirt as it is rubbed off. As long as the wax is just cured it should not be too bad, but sometimes a QD dampend MF will prevent this.

Which MF towels do you have? have you tried a 100% white cotton towel that has no sizing in it or trim on it?

Deanski

AdvonspaanDC5
06-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Just a wild guess with no real evidence backing this up. But could it be that the MF`s are brand new? I forgot where I read, but something along the lines of using a new towel isn`t good because the fibers are still hard. And supposedly after a wash, they will get softer.

*cant think where I saw that... 2:30am here, need to stop reading about detailing and go to sleep lol*

cheffi
06-15-2009, 05:44 AM
try to get some zaino mf towels, you really cannot scratch anything with these

Setec Astronomy
06-15-2009, 06:07 AM
What does "name brand" towel mean? Turtle Wax is a name brand, but I wouldn`t use their towels (at least the Turtle Wax towels I have) for anything but grunge work.

Second, just because a towel has been laundered, doesn`t mean it`s clean. MF towels love to hold onto various types of contaminants that can scratch a prized car; they really need to be inspected after each washing, especially if there is any chance they might have been dropped or picked up some tree particles from the car. Note that even if your "buffing" towels have never been used in that manner or dropped, if you wash them with towels that have, that debris is potentially floating around in the washing machine.

GS4_Fiend
06-15-2009, 10:36 AM
If your LSP is hard to remove, you should spray some QD for best removal. I used KSG, and it`s a mother F to be removed.

BigAl3
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
if you want to buy bulk, try some of the eurow shag towels (i use them on scratch sensitive plastics, etc). they can be had in 10pks and are extremely soft/gentle...

efnfast
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Take your MF cloth and rub a cd with it. Does it scratch - if yes, then there`s your problem. Throw it out and move to a different brand (i like autogeek`s cobra jr`s)

TSC17
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
You definitely need the right type of plush MF, and be sure that you`re caring for them properly as well.

I just worked on a black `08 Z06 Vette (http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/118899-black-08-z06-vette-esoteric-auto-detail.html), and was surprised to find that it was very soft!

Your washing and drying process, along with the media you use (mitt, mf towels, etc) need to be perfect, otherwise you`ll definitely drive yourself crazy...

Chicagoareanew
06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
What does "name brand" towel mean? Turtle Wax is a name brand, but I wouldn`t use their towels (at least the Turtle Wax towels I have) for anything but grunge work.

What Turtle Wax towels are you talking about? They have some new ones that are blue and gray in the turtle wax ice line, and the ones that come in a set of two are some of the softest ones I`ve ever seen. Though the waffle weave drying towel they have is like sandpaper.