PDA

View Full Version : Adam`s vs Griot`s

Pages : [1] 2

duke4ever
06-12-2009, 02:13 AM
oh boy, I think this might be a potential flame war igniter but here goes, I`ve recently tried 2 of Griot`s products and was thinking of giving Adam`s products a go. Aside from that, Adam`s and Griot`s seem similar to me in what they offer, price, etc...

What are people`s general experiences with one vs the other?

Do you tend to like one over the other? Are they both on par? Are they both awesome? or do they both suck? Are any worth the prices?

Poisoned Pony
06-12-2009, 04:43 AM
I use products from both companies on my Mustang. I love Griot`s wheel cleaner and tire dressings. I think they`re fantastic products. I also think their Speed Shine is some decent stuff. I use Adam`s In and Out spray for dressing the engine bay for car shows and it`s does a damn good job. Right now, the Mustang is topped with their Buttery Wax and she`s looking mighty fine :2thumbs:

Elkiebob
06-12-2009, 05:18 AM
I use Griot`s exclusively for one big reason. All of their products are compatible with each other. One does not remove the other. Their products form a system and I don`t have to go chasing other products wondering what they contain and what will they do to my car. I originally leaned towards Meguiar`s but found it absolutely confusing with competing synthetic and natural products.

BigAl3
06-12-2009, 08:23 AM
if you are going to look into adams (most of their stuff is over-priced), check out CG`s. they are more reasonably priced and there are other options as well...

Accumulator
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Disclaimer: I`ve never used Adam`s stuff. Plenty of experience with Griot`s though.

IME some of Griot`s stuff is great, some is lousy, and some is in-between. Which, IMO, is true of every line out there.

I don`t think you can really generalize like that too much and I don`t see it as an either/or decision.

PerroneFord
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
IME some of Griot`s stuff is great, some is lousy, and some is in-between. Which, IMO, is true of every line out there.

Exactly. There are NO lines out there which have the best of everything, nor that meet every taste. I am migrating toward a about 3 lines but that is because of some special needs that I have (must be able to apply in full sun) or for other reasons.

I don`t think you can really generalize like that too much and I don`t see it as an either/or decision.

If one is lazy then I would say this is viable. But with a minimum of homework and casual reading, incredible combinations can be found and utilized. Forums like this one are invaluable to detailers trying to learn or refine processes.

And honestly, if you are trying to improve your methods, what ARE you doing? I feel my customers deserve the best I can give them. And that includes staying current with techniques and products to help them preserve their vehicle(s).

Accumulator
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
..with a minimum of homework and casual reading, incredible combinations can be found and utilized..

That`s for sure :xyxthumbs And some of the combos you`d never think of can be some of the best ones.

TGates
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I like a few products from Griot`s and a lot of products from Adam`s. Both are great companies to work with.

From Adam`s, I love the Detail Spray, VRT, Undercarriage Spray, Glass Cleaner, Green Wheel Cleaner, Revive Polish, and Americana Wax. The Buttery Wax is a joy to use but if you sneeze on it, it`s gone. Their BHBs are nice, their drying towel is one of the most absorbent I`ve found, and their microfibers are nice.

From Griot`s, I love the Speed Shine, Interior Cleaner, Wheel Cleaner (if your wheels aren`t caked with brake dust), Car Wash, and Leather Care Spray. I will say that their waxes and polishes are worthless. I thought I liked Best of Show at one point in time, but I grew so tired of fighting with it during removal that I gave the bottle away.

I use products from these two companies (although really the only product I *have* to have from Griot`s is the Interior Cleaner) and products from Meguiar`s and Zaino and that`s really all I need these days.

Darkstar752
06-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Disclaimer: I`ve never used Adam`s stuff. Plenty of experience with Griot`s though.

Exactly. The reason why I buy what is considered the best for the money. I have Menzerna for most polishes, looking into Scholl and have Meguiars. Bilt-Hamber, Lusso, Rubbish Boy`s, DoDo juice, EZ Detail, Poorboys, Uber, and many, many more.

No one company is the best, you have to mix it up to get the best results.

Accumulator
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
BlackSunshine- Heh heh, when *you* give up on BOS I think it`s the final nail in that particular coffin ;)

Interesting about the Adam`s drying towels being so good. I gotta admit that after I saw their video on how to wash (more like how *NOT* to wash IMO :nono ) I pretty much blew them off.

TGates
06-12-2009, 01:24 PM
BlackSunshine- Heh heh, when *you* give up on BOS I think it`s the final nail in that particular coffin ;)

I really like the finish it leaves, but getting there is dreadful.

about the Adam`s drying towels being so good. I gotta admit that after I saw their video on how to wash (more like how *NOT* to wash IMO :nono ) I pretty much blew them off.

Yeah, I notice some things that make me cringe as well, but their products are very user friendly and their Detail Spray I go through by the gallon. It`s the most versatile detail spray I`ve found. You know how much I love Speed Shine, but given the choice of one or the other, I gotta take Adam`s. The more time I spend around their forum, the more it seems they cater towards the guys who aren`t necessarily "lose sleep over a swirl mark" anal, but appreciate easy to use products that produce a great looking finish, and that`s really what I`m all about these days.

duke4ever
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Is the Adam`s QD as good replacement for an interior QD? Right now I use megs interior detailer and 303. Though I find myself using 303 *almost* like an interior detailer for the dash, where the sun hits the most. Also don`t know if this matters or not but the megs interior detailer smells annoying to say the least...

TGates
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Is the Adam`s QD as good replacement for an interior QD? Right now I use megs interior detailer and 303. Though I find myself using 303 *almost* like an interior detailer for the dash, where the sun hits the most. Also don`t know if this matters or not but the megs interior detailer smells annoying to say the least...

I haven`t used the Adam`s on the inside because it smells like strawberries and I don`t want to be smelling that inside my car. I personally like the scent of the Meg`s Interior Detailer and that`s all I really use on my dash/nav.

duke4ever
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
This is why different products are made :), I would actually prefer the inside to smell like strawberries than the way the megs interior detailer smells

mc2hill
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
duke4ever,

Check out Adam`s Forums if you have a chance. They are putting together a detail clinic in your area soon. A good chance to play with some of the products.