PDA

View Full Version : Need advice.... Cyclo or PC7424 & Products

Fly5465
06-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey all,

I have been reading a lot here and getting more and more confused. I have 2 white cars and one blue one. THey all need to be detailed and haven`t even been waxed in over 2 years.

I have a Cyclo but I have never used it on paint or a car. I used it to keep my airplane polished. It works fantastic for that once you learn how to polish aluminum.

Anyway, I was considering buying a new Porter Cable 7424XP. But reading here I see some use the Cyclo for cars as well? Now I;m wondering if I sould just try to get by with my Cyclo? I do have some pads that I got from "Top of the line" detail a few years ago and never used them.

I was thinking about buying some Meguiars 105 and 205 that I have been reading about.

There is just so much info here, I`m getting confused!!!! :nixweiss

I`m thinking my procedure will be..

Wash car

Clay bar it (never done it before)

Polish with 205 (Either with current Cyclo or new PC)

Polish with 105 (Either with current Cyclo or new PC)

Put a wax or sealant on it (not sure of a brand) (By hand or with machine??)

I`m sure I`m missing a lot?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Fly5465

Accumulator
06-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Fly5465- Welcome to Autopia!

There are some threads where we discussed the PC vs. Cyclo debate in some detail, they might be worth the dreaded SEARCH.

I`ve been using both machines since forever and IMO both have their pros/cons.

Short version: the PC, *when equipped with 4" pads*, can do more aggressive correction than the Cyclo, but that might not be all that significant now that M105 is on the market (I`ve yet to try M105 via Cyclo so I can`t say). The PC will sometimes fit into areas that the Cyclo can`t do (because of the size of the Cyclo`s main housing).

BUT...the Cyclo is infinitely more user-friendly and durable. It doesn`t vibrate you to death the way the PC does. Of the five different versions of polishers I have, I prefer the Cyclo by a wide margin.

I`d try the Cyclo and see how it works for you. You already have it, and there`s no sense buying a PC unless the Cyclo simply won`t give the results you`re after.

And if the Cyclo *does* fall short, I`d strongly encourage you to consider the Flex 3401 instead of the PC. The Flex and the Cyclo make a great team and I greatly prefer both over the PC.

Which wax? For a simple answer to a complex question ;) the short answer is Collinite, either their 845 liquid or their 476S paste. Of the countless waxes and sealants on the market, for people looking to upgrade from the usual Turtle Wax/Meguiar`s consumer line type of products it`s an easy recommendation.

Fly5465
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Accumulator,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take your advice and give the Cyclo a try since I already have it. What would you recommend for pads to use with the M105 & M205? Where do you buy your pads? Also, do you apply the Collinite wax with the Cyclo as well or by hand?

Thanks again,

Fly5465

Accumulator
06-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Accumulator,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take your advice and give the Cyclo a try since I already have it. What would you recommend for pads to use with the M105 & M205?

M105- Orange foam for serious correction, green foam for milder work.

M205- Green foam for moderate correction, white foam for finishing. Or maybe the blue foam, I haven`t tried those yet.

I`m not a big fan of their yellow cutting pads, I`d usually rather do additional work with the orange ones instead.

Where do you buy your pads?

Usually from Cyclo Toolmakers (http://www.cyclotoolmakers.com/) or We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net/) or from TOL.

Also, do you apply the Collinite wax with the Cyclo as well or by hand?

With Collinite I sorta lean towards doing it by hand, but the 845 works fine by machine (the 476S can be a little finicky so I don`t recommend that to people who aren`t already doing it).