PDA

View Full Version : Surf city grime destroyer??

Pages : [1] 2

duke4ever
06-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I went out and bought some SC grime destroyer and boy I don`t know what the hell is in it, but I tried it on a caked on bug and the bug literally slid off onto my bug sponge as soon as I touched it. SO FAR so good, I am going to try using it as a pre wash on the lower panel portions my next wash to get the tar etc... out.

Anyone else have good experiences with surf city grime destroyer (or bad I guess)?

Goose
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I went out and bought some SC grime destroyer and boy I don`t know what the hell is in it, but I tried it on a caked on bug and the bug literally slid off onto my bug sponge as soon as I touched it. SO FAR so good, I am going to try using it as a pre wash on the lower panel portions my next wash to get the tar etc... out.

Anyone else have good experiences with surf city grime destroyer (or bad I guess)?

I`d like to know as well. Does it work well and Safe on rims to take out grim and baked on tar etc.? Better than P21s wheel gel.......

imported_wagonproject
06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
I love it. I cut it 1:1 and it still works great on front ends and rockers.

craigdt
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Ive heard nothing but great things about this product. Id love to try it, even though Im very happy with my APC+.

Problem is, its not at any stores in my area and I dont want to ship it.

duke4ever
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Ive heard nothing but great things about this product. Id love to try it, even though Im very happy with my APC+.

Problem is, its not at any stores in my area and I dont want to ship it.

I actually just got lucky a store near me had it, chances are I would have never gone out and ordered it. I also discovered they sell 303 protectant, so that`s one less thing to ship :)

If I end up really liking this stuff, I may just go and get the 2 liter bottle... we`ll see

craigdt
06-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Which one was it? None of the auto parts stores around here carry the line.

duke4ever
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I think it`s a local one, it`s called A & A auto, but there are some Pep boys that also carry the line, did you this this link?:

Premium Car Care & Car Detailing Products - Car Wax - Car Polish – Car Shine - Wheel Cleaners (http://www.surfcitygarage.com/locate_dealer.php)

to find a store near you?

PerroneFord
06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I`ve written about this stuff on nearly every detail I do. I mix up some 3:1 in a spray bottle and spray the lower portion of the car before the wash. I use it in the wheel wells, the fuel filler area, anywhere tough grime needs to be destroyed. It works like friggin magic.

Works on caked on brake dust too. Not that stuff people here call bad brake dust that comes of with a light brushing and a hose, but that ugly, wheel-hasn`t-been-cleaned-since-Carter-was-President stuff.

I`d buy it by the gallon if I could. I also put some in my pre-soak spray when washing if I am doing a particularly bad car. Dirt just slides off during the pre-soak.

If there`s anything as good on the market, I haven`t seen it.

tom p.
06-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Great product, I`ve been using it for about a year following a few stellar reviews here at Autopia. I`ve never seen the stuff in a local store.

Goose
06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Works on caked on brake dust too. Not that stuff people here call bad brake dust that comes of with a light brushing and a hose, but that ugly, wheel-hasn`t-been-cleaned-since-Carter-was-President stuff.

So no issues with rims? P21s is nice but to damn soft for baked on grim. Looking for something that Actually Works.

duke4ever
06-12-2009, 08:33 PM
So no issues with rims? P21s is nice but to damn soft for baked on grim. Looking for something that Actually Works.

Have you tried Eagle one? IME it`s something like this: Eagle one > P21S > Griot`s > Most APCs (NOT degreasers)

From what I see on how SC Grime destroyer works, and note I haven`t tried it on rims, it seems like it might fit somewhere between Eagle one and P21S. Keep in mind I haven`t tried anything STRONGER than Eagle one, so my foresight on this could be quite limited.

What I do know is that, SC is NOT acidic, in fact it`s very basic but to what extent I don`t know (don`t know the pH)... but you would probably already knew that seeing as how it "neutralizes" bug acid.

Goose
06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Have you tried Eagle one? IME it`s something like this: Eagle one > P21S > Griot`s > Most APCs (NOT degreasers)

From what I see on how SC Grime destroyer works, and note I haven`t tried it on rims, it seems like it might fit somewhere between Eagle one and P21S. Keep in mind I haven`t tried anything STRONGER than Eagle one, so my foresight on this could be quite limited.

What I do know is that, SC is NOT acidic, in fact it`s very basic but to what extent I don`t know (don`t know the pH)... but you would probably already knew that seeing as how it "neutralizes" bug acid.

I have Eagle One but had some issues with it on some of my rims, so I used P21s on the BBS rims I`m working on as to not have any issues with them, still took 2hrs. to clean the rims. They were bad.

Just looking for something stronger But just as Safe as P21s.

PerroneFord
06-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Goose, I would NOT say SCGD is as safe as P21. Unfortunately, for really sensitive wheels I just use Griots and a lot of elbow grease. I have used SCGD on some other rims with great success. Subaru, Porsche, Mini. But these were all factory wheels and not that sensitive I don`t think.

I tend to reserve the SCGD for tasks like wheel arches, the lower sections of the car to break up grime, on the front of the car to soften bugs, etc.

Goose
06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Goose, I would NOT say SCGD is as safe as P21. Unfortunately, for really sensitive wheels I just use Griots and a lot of elbow grease. I have used SCGD on some other rims with great success. Subaru, Porsche, Mini. But these were all factory wheels and not that sensitive I don`t think.

I tend to reserve the SCGD for tasks like wheel arches, the lower sections of the car to break up grime, on the front of the car to soften bugs, etc.

Good to know. Thanks. It does look like a good product tho. :)

duke4ever
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I like how Griot`s seems to be the Johnson and Johnson tear less shampoo of the wheel cleaning world...