PDA

View Full Version : 07 Black Murano -- my DD -- need advice

AGAuto
06-11-2009, 10:30 AM
To begin, this is my first post to the forum. I have been on here for a little over a month reading and learning all the great information that is on this site. What a great forum!

I started washing cars when I was 8 years old...now I`m 19. I know I have A LOT to learn, but I have a good understanding of how to detail a car. Anyway, enough about me and onto the real question.

I drive a 07 Nissan Murano (black) as my daily driver. I have tried to be careful on how I wash/dry my car but I feel like the swirls never go away. My car is usually always shining, but recently I have been so busy washing/detailing other people`s cars that I don`t have as much time for my own. I would really appreciate recommendations on a few products that I am unsure about, as I am about to run out of a lot of my polishes/waxes. And yes, I did a search, but there is so much information out there that it becomes difficult to understand which is the best.

I have been using an 100% cotton towel for washing and drying (I know, not great for swirl marks), and I am looking into a wash mitt to get so I don`t have to risk scratching my paint every time I was it. Also, I want to get a new polish in addition to Meg`s #205 that will definitely take out the swirls and then I`ll follow up with #205. Lastly, I`m looking for a good waffle drying towel that definitely will not scratch my paint. Once I remove all the swirls, I want to be as careful as I can to not put them back in.

Here are the products that I own for just the exterior:

Megs Hyperwash

Megs All Purpose Cleaner

Megs Wheel Brightener

Ardex Bug Remover

Ardex Tar Remover Solvent

Ardex Dull Away (Tire Shine)

Ardex Pure Gold (Wax) (Almost Out)

Griots Machine Polish 2

Griots Machine Polish 3 (Almost out)

Griots Machine Polish 4

Griot`s Paint Sealant

Griot`s Orbital

2 Orange Polishing Pads

2 Red Wax Pads

Lot`s of small microfiber towels

Products I need recommendations on:

Wash mitt

Waffle drying towels

Megs #205 compliment (do I need something more abrasive to cut swirls?)

Maybe different polishing pads?

I received the Griot`s products as a gift, otherwise I would have purchased a different type of orbital as I have read that this is not the best. Also, I have used the Machine Polish 3 and the Paint Sealant on my car before, just so you know what was previously done. The first time I used the orbital was on this car, and I have learned A LOT about how to use it since, and have gotten great results on other cars.

I really appreciate any help you can give me!

Attached a 2 pictures of the swirls right now...the last picture is what my car looks like after a wash & wax in the garage (deceiving)

Thats Fresh
06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
check out Detailed Image (http://http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=2468&url=DI-Page). theyre a sponsor on here and they have specials on the polishing pads.

M105 works well but you might not such an agressive cut for your swirls. as you prolly know the best thing to do is start with the least aggressive polish you have. there are many polishes in between 105 and 205 that could fit you better depending oh much correction you need.

from most cut to less cut with pad:

Menzerna Power Gloss/orange

Menzerna SIP/orange

Menzerna 106FA/white

Menzerna PO85RD/blue

you be able to get away with just 106FA and then your M205.

superchargedg
06-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Good advise above as i use menzerna on my g35.

AGAuto
06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks for the info so far -- I appreciate it.

What about recommendations for wash mitts and waffle drying towels? I have read a lot about the Cobra waffle towels but I am not sure if they are worth the money. Any opinions?

slickwilly
06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
thanks for the info so far -- I appreciate it.

What about recommendations for wash mitts and waffle drying towels? I have read a lot about the Cobra waffle towels but I am not sure if they are worth the money. Any opinions?

I use the orange microfiber/chenille mit from the "red bullseye". And the Guzzler waffle weave by Cobra from Autogeek. Both work very well. The key is the wash method. Using 2 bucket with grit guard (and one of these days, I`ll take my own advice and get a grit guard).

Many also prefer the leaf blower to dry, but I still am not sold that it doesn`t redeposit tiny particles of dirt back on the paint in certain areas.

AGAuto
06-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Many also prefer the leaf blower to dry, but I still am not sold that it doesn`t redeposit tiny particles of dirt back on the paint in certain areas.

As for the leaf blower, I may just use the air compressor that I already have and get a special attachment for it. It has a pretty big tank so I think it`ll work fine without having to worry about redepositing dirt particles.

AGAuto
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
So tonight I placed an order on autogeek based upon what Thats Fresh and others recommended...thanks again

This is what I got:

Menzerna Super Finish 106 FA

Meguiars #205

6.5 inch white polishing pad (for the Menzerna)

6.5 inch gray finishing pad (for the #205)

6.5 inch blue finessing pad (for the wax)

ULTI-MIT Wash Mitt

However, I question whether or not the Menzerna and #205 are too similar, and that I should have bought a different type of polish...or am I wrong?

slickwilly
06-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Nothing wrong with getting both the Menz 106 and Megs 205...yeah, they`re similar, but the Murano may not be the only vehicle you detail. Some products work better than others depending on paint type/age, etc.

Also, the Menz uses diminishing abravises, where the Megs uses SMAT, which don`t diminish as you work the product. You should do a test panel with each and decide which is best for the Murano paint.

The 6.5 pads should be ok, but 5.5 or even smaller would be ideal. Maybe I missed it, do you have a PC or a Flex?

AGAuto
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
The 6.5 pads should be ok, but 5.5 or even smaller would be ideal. Maybe I missed it, do you have a PC or a Flex?

I have the Griot`s orbital, so I think the 6.5 pads are a must.

Would it be okay to use the Menz first, then follow up with Megs 205? Or would that just be worthless?

Thanks for the help.