PDA

View Full Version : Need Clear Coat Advice

chaslowe
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I thought that this was a fairly straight forward question. What`s up?

Hello

I`m a brand new newby. If I`m posting this in the wrong area please give me a push in the right direction.

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport ... bright red all around, no chrome. It hasn`t had a good cleaning in a while so I started working on getting a few pieces of sap off of the hood. I used bacon fat and it worked like a charm. And after 11 years the hood is 99.9% perfect. Clear coats are a wonderful thing. The rest of the truck has just a few nicks and some road tar but right now I`m concentrating on the front end.

The hood has a good shine to it but not great. I sure would like a nice deep gloss on it ... and more protection if it needs it. I have read and read and read and can`t find a product that I can be sure is safe for the clear coat. I`ve come across recommendations for 3m Perfect It II, 3m Imperial Hand Glaze and Wolfgang Products. But, from the product descriptions I can`t tell if they are what I need.

I would definitely prefer a single one-step product since this isn`t a show truck, just my every day transportation. Also, I`ll be working by hand. No buffer.

Can someone suggest a good product. I don`t mind spending a little money.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

CrispyGP2001
03-02-2016, 08:21 PM
I thought that this was a fairly straight forward question. What`s up?

Hello

I`m a brand new newby. If I`m posting this in the wrong area please give me a push in the right direction.

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport ... bright red all around, no chrome. It hasn`t had a good cleaning in a while so I started working on getting a few pieces of sap off of the hood. I used bacon fat and it worked like a charm. And after 11 years the hood is 99.9% perfect. Clear coats are a wonderful thing. The rest of the truck has just a few nicks and some road tar but right now I`m concentrating on the front end.

The hood has a good shine to it but not great. I sure would like a nice deep gloss on it ... and more protection if it needs it. I have read and read and read and can`t find a product that I can be sure is safe for the clear coat. I`ve come across recommendations for 3m Perfect It II, 3m Imperial Hand Glaze and Wolfgang Products. But, from the product descriptions I can`t tell if they are what I need.

I would definitely prefer a single one-step product since this isn`t a show truck, just my every day transportation. Also, I`ll be working by hand. No buffer.

Can someone suggest a good product. I don`t mind spending a little money.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Optimum Poli-Seal use a microfiber pad and work it as best you can by hand until clear ( much easier by machine but can be done). This will give a good shine and protection in one step. If that doesn`t give you what you want then Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound with microfiber pad (don`t have to work this until clear) followed with Meguiar`s Ultimate Polish. After should seal so Poli-Seal again or Opti-Seal.

Ronkh
03-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Bacon fat ???

GearHead_1
03-02-2016, 08:36 PM
My how time flies. I remember bacon fat being the in thing back in 09. ;) Not too hard to see why this thread didn`t take off. That said, the OP hasn`t logged back on to the forum since the day after he posted this thread.

Ronkh
03-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Well, Mike P says find something you like and use it often.........

I like bacon. :D

allenk4
03-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Photos will help a great deal.

Close-ups taken in the Sun are preferable.

GearHead_1
03-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Well, Mike P says find something you like and use it often.........

I like bacon. :DI saw this coming. :)

Ronkh
03-02-2016, 09:33 PM
I didn`t look at the date when I replied

Do I need to find my batman pic again?

ShaneB
03-02-2016, 10:26 PM
I didn`t look at the date when I replied

Do I need to find my batman pic again?

I was going to but then realized it`s a pain to do that kinda crap on a phone.