PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for making Slate Green pop?

jawhitti
06-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

First of all thanks and props to the regular posters here on Autopia. I`ve learned a lot in a pretty short time. Six months ago I took my car to the local automatic car wash and occasionally hit it with Zymol. Now I`m using two buckets and microfiber towels. I`m learning. (Incidentally NXT 2.0 did wonders for my `04 gray Accord).

Last month I bought a new family truckster - a 2009 Honda Odyssey. Thanks to the knowlege I gleaned from here and the Odyssey Club board the first thing I did was clay it and wax it. I was too impatient to order something so I did 2 coats with NXT 2.0. By hand, which was a lot of work, but I don`t have a PC and don`t really intend to go down that road. Not yet anyway.

Anyway, the NXT looks okay, but I noticed that my hood looks a bit "mottled" - the paint doesn`t appear to have an even color. I`m not sure if that`s from me applying NXT badly or something else. I`ve also noticed the hood seems to have strange etching - similar to what some of you are calling "acid rain" damage. Both are pretty minor, and I just can`t be bothered to strip the NXT and try again. (I`ve actually probably done 6 coats of NXT on the hood due to all the interstate miles). I`m wondering if I was a bit too harsh on the hood with the clay or didn`t let the NXT set up properly or something. Any ideas what would lead to a mottled appearance where some of the paint is a bit darker than the rest?

I`ve learned that it`s hard to really make a color like this one pop but I noticed when washing it today that it does have a nice sparkle to it. I think I can probably do better than NXT. This particular model (2009 Touring) comes with some pretty nice looking wheels so I think if I can find the right treatment combo it could look pretty sexy (For a van! hah!). I picked this color because I liked the way the wheels pretty nearly match the body color and the black interior looks really nice with this exterior body color.

I`m thinking of using Collinite 476s for the next waxing based on the durability I`m reading about, but I`m looking for suggestions specifically for lighter-colored cars like this one. I`d like something that will deepen the color and bring out the sparkle, and hopefully not require me to invest the time in learning how to use a PC :). We use this van primarly for long-distance interstate trips and it sits in the garage otherwise so I can do fairly involved work on it. It`s just a matter of my arms giving out as the Ody is a LOT of vehicle to treat.

Any suggestions for getting the best out of this color? I`ve attached a pic of the van to give you an idea of what I`m working with. It`s not very clean in this pic - it had just been through a 500 mile trip of mostly rain. If I do Collinite 476 would it make sense to do it over the NXT? The thought of stripping the NXT with Dawn and starting over kind of makes me ill as it was such a PITA to do the whole van, especially the roof.

Any and all advice appreciated. From reading other threads I expect it to be contradictory, but entertaining. Thanks!

imported_sal329
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
The best look will come from your prep work. If the van is not in need of a full polish use a light polish like Meg 205 to bring out the gloss. Danase Wet Glaze helps bring out gloss and wetness, top with FK 1000p or CLearkote Carnauba Moose. I have just tried Wet Obsession for the first time and I was very very impressed, I would use FK 1000p then top with Wet Obsession.

SpoiledMan
07-12-2009, 12:41 AM
IME slate green will pop hard using Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger. Very easy to use and you can cover the van quickly. Make sure that the paint is clean at least. That color doesn`t really show defects all that much being light and metallic.

Infraggable Kru
07-12-2009, 03:24 AM
haha nothing is going to make a minivan "POP"

it sounds like you are applying the NXT too thick, or just improperly, it is know to streak

I would use DAWN soap and strip all the old NXT off ( just this time) , and try reapplying it. When you remove it and still get blotchy spots, continue removing the wax with a microfiber towel ( it should remove the "heavy areas" of wax )

ZeroDfx
07-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Sounds to me as though you are skipping or minimizing the paint preparation step normally associated with polishing the paint to bring out the shine, and jumping right to the LSP after claying. If you really want to see the paint "pop", I believe you will need to do some polishing, or at least "chemical cleaning" with an AIO.

It will be hard to get strong results polishing by hand, but since you don`t want to go down the PC road, it`s still better than nothing. But as long as you are working by hand, you won`t be able to get maximum impact.

Nick