PDA

View Full Version : Holograms

ianitrix
06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey guys I just detailed a Journey today and I ran into a problem. The car looks great and all but when I took it out in the sun I had some major halograms all over the darn thing. Here are the steps I did:

1) 105 w/ white pad

2)Wiped the car with prep all

3) Final polish w/ Black Pad

4) Prep all

5) Class A sealant Glaze

6) meguiars #26 by hand

The rest of the steps were preformed with the flex.

Now I was generous with the final polish and also with the meguiars , Im really not sure what I did wrong. Thanks for looking

imported_RZJZA80
06-08-2009, 09:49 PM
if you applied the glaze with the Flex, that could be where you got the holograms, depending on the pad used. The final polish with a black pad SHOULD be hologram free as long as you didn`t press down too much, i try to just let it sit on it`s own weight and not add any pressure other than that.

DetailnByDustn
06-08-2009, 10:04 PM
if you applied the glaze with the Flex, that could be where you got the holograms, depending on the pad used. The final polish with a black pad SHOULD be hologram free as long as you didn`t press down too much, i try to just let it sit on it`s own weight and not add any pressure other than that.

I agree, I have no experience with a flex but I had the same problem with the polishes I used with a pc, I went with a 105 meg on a orange pad followed with a 205 meg on a white pad and then mother polish on a blue pad and had slight holograms, I did everything over again, and got all the holograms out of the paint, I think I applied to much pressure after the orange pad with 105 the first time. Hope this helps

Darkstar752
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Make sure you always break the polish down, and after the passes at the main speed, go down in speed and lighten pressure gradually to help it finish out better. You might be using too much product, I do an X across the pad then just 3-4 drops of polish after that.

It could also be from the wax, I had that happen before, not sure what I did but it looked like it left holograms which was actually wax. I applied a second layer and it all went away. If it`s from a machine, they will be in long lines like you polished it, if it`s the glaze or wax it will be erratic like hand motions.

salty
06-08-2009, 10:11 PM
You probably need a polishing step in between 105 and your final polish step. Final Polish on black LC pad has very little cut.

DetailnByDustn
06-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Make sure you always break the polish down, and after the passes at the main speed, go down in speed and lighten pressure gradually to help it finish out better. You might be using too much product, I do an X across the pad then just 3-4 drops of polish after that.

It could also be from the wax, I had that happen before, not sure what I did but it looked like it left holograms which was actually wax. I applied a second layer and it all went away. If it`s from a machine, they will be in long lines like you polished it, if it`s the glaze or wax it will be erratic like hand motions.

Also agree +1, well said :bigups:

ianitrix
06-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys for the help, now should I just prep all it and start from there?? Reapply the polish (make sure it breaks down) and then the glaze.

Thanks

74 thing
06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
205 with Meg yellow or Lake Country white would probably clean it up then you will have to decide if you want/need 205 with the black.

ianitrix
06-09-2009, 07:59 AM
205 with Meg yellow or Lake Country white would probably clean it up then you will have to decide if you want/need 205 with the black.

I dont have 205, basicially I have what Ive ued already on the car

Accumulator
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

This sounds like a case of "pseudo-holograms". Sorry to split hairs, but IME *true* holograms only happen with rotaries. With a Flex/PC/etc. you can get similar problems but they`re not really the same thing.

Failure to break a polish down completely can leave hazing/micromarring that might be the issue here.

Too big a jump between aggressive and mild polishing steps can cause this problem too.

Some waxes can be pretty bad in the pseudo-hologram department but I`ve never known #26 to do it. I`m not familiar with the glaze, maybe that was it.

I`d try to figure out at which step in the process the problem originates.

If it were mine I`d be choosing between M105 on a finishing pad and your final polish on first a polishing pad and then a finishing pad. I`d inspect in the sun between every step.

Got Wax
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
This was going to be my suggestion. You need a polish stage in there to remove the marring you induce.

Andy
You probably need a polishing step in between 105 and your final polish step. Final Polish on black LC pad has very little cut.