PDA

View Full Version : Do motorcycles have clearcoat on the paint?

WaxManRonnie
06-08-2009, 11:49 AM
My friend wants me to look at this bike he got on consignment.

He said the last owner spray painted some garbage on the tank to cover

up what was left of some adhesive. He wants that paint off and the adhesive gone. I told him Thursday I would come down

and look at it. I thought of bringing mineral spirits with me, but not sure

if thats safe with bikes. Any suggestions?

Bike is a 1985 Honda.

Bert
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
My friend wants me to look at this bike he got on consignment.

He said the last owner spray painted some garbage on the tank to cover

up what was left of some adhesive. He wants that paint off and the adhesive gone. I told him Thursday I would come down

and look at it. I thought of bringing mineral spirits with me, but not sure

if thats safe with bikes. Any suggestions?

Bike is a 1985 Honda.

Last year I polished my Black 2002 Honda Shadow and the pads did not turn black so that would indicate it has a clear coat on it.

I am not sure how you can remove the paint the former owner applied but not the original paint?????

WaxManRonnie
06-08-2009, 12:20 PM
It`s spray can paint. Rustoleum I believe.

I may have to wetsand it.

944obscene
06-08-2009, 12:38 PM
That`s an older machine. I`d look into the popular painting methods for bikes back then.

Rhino
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Should have clear. Try this in an inconspicuous area first. Take a little acetone on an MF towel and rub it on a spot to be sure it won`t harm it. If all goes well, do the same, but on the resprayed portion of the tank. The respray SHOULD come off. Sometimes when you do this, you`ll be required to do some very light polishing (hand)on the spot where you rubbed the acetone just to bring the gloss back. Been doing this for years to remove sap and leftover glue from dealer badging.

(Also, please use some discretion. I`m not there to try it myself, therefore it`s difficult for me to fully understand the severity of your situation)