PDA

View Full Version : New Tacoma clay marring

akone
06-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I inspected the paint when I got the vehicle which was delivered by a friend after a 2000 mile trip and could not find any swirls. The clear coat was like water. Whew! I thanked the salesman for that. I had stocked up on detailing supplies including Megs clay kit. I could feel contamination after washing and used the clay on a top section of the color matched shell with a liberal amount of a concentrated mixture of Megs shampoo and water. I used only enough pressure to keep the clay under my fingers and side to side rubbing. It smoothed it out nicely but I backed the truck into the sun and could see the marring.

Having a power outage. Will post back.

Darkstar752
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
There was probably a glaze on the car.

GS4_Fiend
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
The Meg`s Clay bar kit uses a gray clay bar. It`s the least aggressive clay bar. Shouldn`t really cause marring unless used dry.

akone
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did some experimenting and when I used the supplied QD there is no marring. My soap mixture was not enough lube or the shell clear coat is soft but I suspect the lube. It works fine on the truck paint.

I am using Klasse AIO and did a couple of panels without claying. It removed some of the contaminants but not all. If I clay it now will it remove the AIO? I`ll be following up with KSG.

butchdave
06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
The remaining contaminants will be covered by the AIO. To remove them you`ll need to remove some AIO, but its not a big deal just reapply the AIO.

akone
06-08-2009, 04:08 PM
That`s what I suspected.

Thanks for the quick info.

akone