PDA

View Full Version : Scratch removal q: should i bump up to m105?

smokinfastlegen
06-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey guys, Im working on an NSX that is scratched and swirled like crazy. Im using Megs So1o burgandy wool pad and the #86 Solo Compound, and i still have scratches in the paint (this is after working it pretty good.) My Arsenal consists of quite a few Meguiars pads such as the whole solo series, and w8006 and w9006 pads. Should i consider bumping up to m105 on the 8006 pad or is there something else i should try?

Whats baffling me is that its honda paint, and its actually harder then honda paints ive worked on before.

Got Wax
06-06-2009, 10:49 PM
It`s Acura paint. If you can get a reading on the paint before getting too crzy, I would say 105 on maybe an even more aggressive pad - I think Megs has a white wool that may work. Or, you may need to spend a little more time on the panels? Whatever the case, I would get a reading on the paint prior to going any more aggressive.

Andy

duke4ever
06-07-2009, 12:36 AM
It`s Acura paint. If you can get a reading on the paint before getting too crzy, I would say 105 on maybe an even more aggressive pad - I think Megs has a white wool that may work. Or, you may need to spend a little more time on the panels? Whatever the case, I would get a reading on the paint prior to going any more aggressive.

Andy

Just a sort of random question here, but seeing as how paint thickness gauges are pretty expensive, do you think a body shop would take readings for you if you asked them?

Accumulator
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Just a sort of random question here, but seeing as how paint thickness gauges are pretty expensive, do you think a body shop would take readings for you if you asked them?

Depends how well you get along with the shop owner :D

I hate using my ETG so I used my good paint guy`s one to check a few spots on my MPV...but he and I are pals do he couldn`t care less about such stuff.

On the NSX, I`d think of it this way...if you`re really gonna get that marring out, you can do n passes with M105 or n*x passes with a milder combo. In the end you`re taking off about the same amount of paint. And *IME* (which does not include Honda/Acura paint), M105 isn`t so aggressive that you`re likely to have some sudden "oops!".

Since the paint on this car seems kinda hard, I`d use M105 without hesitation.

SpoiledMan
06-07-2009, 07:44 PM
And don`t forget you need a meter that will measure aluminum panels. :)

Accumulator
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
And don`t forget you need a meter that will measure aluminum panels. :)

Good point, what with my Audis I guess I`m just taking that for granted :o