PDA

View Full Version : polishing Chrome Emblems?

Lazzman
06-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I was wondering what the best way to polish chrome emblems and name plates on a vehicle would be? I don`t want to use chrome polish as I am afraid it would damage the paint around the emblem.

I also don`t want crud getting caught in between the lettering, I machine polished over emblems in my younger days without taping them off and it was impossible to get the white polish out from betweent the lettering and symbols.

There must be some kind of safe and easy way of doing this, with out the crud left behind??

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Got Wax
06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
In your "Younger Days", as in mine, the emblems were actually metal and capable of being polished. Today, however, most are plastic with a faux chrome finish. If you are meaning that you want to run a machine across them, I would say don`t. If you are thinking more...polishing by hand, you`re initial concern of damaging the paint finish is valid. If you feel you must polish badges, I would suggest using the same method of removing the polish around the badge as you would use removing polish or LSP from around the badge; boars hair brush or MF with a slow and careful process. To assist in removal of polish, I use either ISP or APC. For LSP, I use a QD spray. But, as you mentioned, just be careful to not damage the paint finish.

Andy
I was wondering what the best way to polish chrome emblems and name plates on a vehicle would be? I don`t want to use chrome polish as I am afraid it would damage the paint around the emblem.

I also don`t want crud getting caught in between the lettering, I machine polished over emblems in my younger days without taping them off and it was impossible to get the white polish out from betweent the lettering and symbols.

There must be some kind of safe and easy way of doing this, with out the crud left behind??

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Lazzman
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks, and your right most are plastic that are chrome plated.

The one`s on my 2007 Camry are solid chrome, I will follow your advice with the removal of the chrome polish.

Thanks

Jason M
06-06-2009, 09:00 PM
It doesn`t matter what`s under the chrome. Be it metal or plastic you are working on the surface. Which is chrome. Using your normal paint polish on them should be fine. I usually tape off emblems when using a heavy compound and/or the rotary. I then remove the tape and move the machine right over them when using my DA to final polish. I just take care to remove all residue with my microfiber after polishing that section. Same goes for waxing. Just take a little time and be thorough with your wiping.

Lazzman
06-07-2009, 10:30 AM
polish seems to cake up between the letters, I used a Q tip dipped in QD to get some of it out, took a long time.

I have the boarshair brush but won`t that scratch the paint if I rub it between and over the emblems?

Accumulator
06-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I would suggest .. boars hair brush or MF with a slow and careful process. To assist in removal of polish, I use either ISP or APC.

I have the boarshair brush but won`t that scratch the paint if I rub it between and over the emblems?

IME *dry* BHBs *will* mar automotive paint...for that matter, IME *any* brush used dry will (only exception- the discontinued "exploded tip"-bristle ones TOL sold in the early `90s and even those were risky).

I`d use the BHB *wet* with something like Hi-Temp`s Remove All (or whatever they call it these days, mine`s old..) or ONR, or at least some QD like #34. Actually, I don`t think I`d use a BHB as it`s just too easy to apply too much pressure.

I`d use a very plush MF and I`d soften the [stuff] you`re cleaning out with one of the above-mentioned liquids.

Getting in the tight spots can be a PIA (the "Jaguar" on a certain `60 MKII is giving me fits...had to get into the tight spots...no, it wouldn`t just come off the way it should have :rolleyes: ) but small swabs and/or plush MFs will work, just be careful and remember how easy it is to mar paint.

And yeah, I`d be careful about polishing them. I`ve worn the chrome off old ("real chrome") emblems before and it`s even easier to mess up the plastic ones. I generally just use AIOs on such stuff these days.