PDA

View Full Version : Coworker`s red CRV has turned PINK. Any chance this can be restored?

usracer900
06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
CRV is a 97` and red has faded to nice shade of bubblegum pink, especially on the hood, fenders and roof. Was badly oxidized as well. I have both a PC and rotary and have had some success in the past restoring faded cars to their original color but they all were single stage paint and no clearcoat. This CRV definitely has a clear coat, no paint was on the pad. I was able to easily remove the oxidization and the car is very shiny now but the pink color looks horrible.

Are we stuck with these results or what`s the best way to correct this? I appreciate your advice!

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Wow. I remember a thread about Honda red fading under the clear..if that`s the case, there is nothing you can do about it. At least it`s a shiny pink!

usracer900
06-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Oh wow, maybe this is a problem with all Honda`s. Can someone post a link to that thread? I`m very curious.

Thanks!

JohnKleven
06-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Yup, faded under the clearcoat. I`ve only seen this happen on Hondas. Unfortunately, gotta send this car out for a full squirt job.

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Seems the clear in those cases isn`t doing a good enough job at UV blocking.

Thats Fresh
06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Yup, faded under the clearcoat. I`ve only seen this happen on Hondas. Unfortunately, gotta send this car out for a full squirt job.

this happened on my RED 93 toyota pickup. it got the regular washes over the years. it was waxed once a year but the paint just faded. a few years ago i got the whole truck repainted and its looking brand spanking new :clap:

there are times when a polishing/wax job is not going to save it.

Fishman
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Did anyone ever try the Zymol Red wax? The wax that has red paint pigment in it and you have to wear gloves when you apply it? I wonder if that would help...

Zymol Red Wax (http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf_id=P883177&dept_id=4240&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Car+Care+-+Wax%2C+Polish%2C+Glaze%2C+%26+Cleaners-_-P883177-_-X)