PDA

View Full Version : spotX scratched window....now what?

dazraf26
06-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Hello autopia...been a long time lurker and I love this sight! Never posted as the search feature seems invaluable :D

I had some water stains on my window that seemed impossible. After reading quite a bit, I found that many people suggested spotX for tough water stains. Long story short, the stuff left small scratches in my window(no not the tint!).

Worst part is I didn`t go crazy with scrubbing, instructions say to use a little elbow grease and i applied a light pressure with a scrubbing motion.

Anyhow, is there anything I can do here? Luckily it is in a limited location. TIA!

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2009, 06:08 AM
What is spotX? If that is a product intended for paint, hard to imagine it scratching your glass. Was the glass clean? What kind of applicator did you use? Was that clean?

dazraf26
06-03-2009, 06:12 AM
What is spotX? If that is a product intended for paint, hard to imagine it scratching your glass. Was the glass clean? What kind of applicator did you use? Was that clean?

Spot-X Hard Water Stain Remover (http://www.planetnatural.com/site/spot-x.html)

Yes the surface was clean, product is specifically for glass, the applicator I used was the one that came with it.

My5ABaby
06-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Spot-X Hard Water Stain Remover (http://www.planetnatural.com/site/spot-x.html)

I used Spot-X and scrubbed quite hard on my glass. It didn`t scratch, nor did it have any positive effect. Are you sure it was the Spot-X?

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2009, 07:23 AM
LOL...they say that stuff is made from juglans regia shells...which is just walnut shells. I guess if they said walnut shells it wouldn`t sound so impressive.

salty
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Glass polishing kit.

dazraf26
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Glass polishing kit.

ya it was def spot X, and I understand that glass is rather difficult to scratch hence my confusion with this product

i read a couple places about using toothpaste as a buffer, might give it a go

worse part is the dam water spots are still there! ***!!

Byk
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
LOL...they say that stuff is made from juglans regia shells...which is just walnut shells. I guess if they said walnut shells it wouldn`t sound so impressive.

Lol... you`re right!

Juglans regia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_regia)

I learn something new here every day :)

SuperBee364
06-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Glass polishing kit.

ya it was def spot X, and I understand that glass is rather difficult to scratch hence my confusion with this product

i read a couple places about using toothpaste as a buffer, might give it a go

worse part is the dam water spots are still there! ***!!

I think what Salty means is that you`re gonna need an actual "Glass Polishing Kit" to polish out the scratches in your glass. Glass is very hard; it`s quite unusual that something like the SpotX could scratch it. Walnut shells are *much* softer than glass. In fact, the abrasives in even the most aggressive car polishes are not capable of scratching/polishing glass. A real "glass polishing kit" will contain an abrasive like Cerium Oxide (which is harder than glass). Cerium Oxide is *very* hard. If used on car paint, it would polish off your clear coat, color coat, and primer very quickly.

Using a Glass Polishing Kit (one that contains Cerium Oxide) is not to be taken lightly. You will develop *very* high heat *very* fast, and it`s easy to damage your glass, your polishing pad, and even your backing plate from the heat. It`s also possible to warp and/or distort the glass pane.

If you decide to get a glass polishing kit to polish out the scratches yourself, make sure you do a ton of reading on the subject....TH001 had a great thread about glass polishing.. maybe it`s still around here somewhere.

dazraf26
06-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Brought it to a body shop and they were unable to get the acid rain spots out. They did buff out some of the scratches.

As for spotX leaving the scratches, I followed the instructions to a T and am confident it is the spotX that left the scratches.

yankees1
06-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Hello autopia...been a long time lurker and I love this sight! Never posted as the search feature seems invaluable :D

I had some water stains on my window that seemed impossible. After reading quite a bit, I found that many people suggested spotX for tough water stains. Long story short, the stuff left small scratches in my window(no not the tint!).

Worst part is I didn`t go crazy with scrubbing, instructions say to use a little elbow grease and i applied a light pressure with a scrubbing motion.

Anyhow, is there anything I can do here? Luckily it is in a limited location. TIA!

Not the solution but probably a dirty rag! Use white distilled vinegar to remove water spots!