PDA

View Full Version : sap removal

gofastman
06-02-2009, 04:59 PM
due to where I park at night I cant really avoid tree sap, whats the best way to remove it, should I just get some Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay or Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay (which one btw) and plan on scrubbing the crap out of it every week or is there a chemical solution?

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I think people have used IPA, or certainly bug and tar remover. Should come off pretty easy if it`s fresh...it`s just when it`s been baked on there for a year that it becomes rock-like. Just remember if you do this every week, you`ll have to re-LSP after.

08xB
06-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Poor Boy`s Bug Squash! Dilute it 3:1 - works great on fresh or semi-fresh sap. AND I was told it would NOT remove your LSP.

GoudyL
06-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I think people have used IPA, or certainly bug and tar remover. Should come off pretty easy if it`s fresh...it`s just when it`s been baked on there for a year that it becomes rock-like. Just remember if you do this every week, you`ll have to re-LSP after.

I just wash the car frequently, clay will remove it, but that gets expensive. TW Bug and Tar Remover liquid (not the spray, not the aerosol), can remove it.

In my experience, putting down a layer of Lucas Slick Mist or Turtle Wax ICE gives you a non-porous slick surface that sap droplets really don`t adhere to very well. :woot:

So IMHO frequent car washing + spray wax will do the trick.

gofastman
06-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Poor Boy`s Bug Squash! Dilute it 3:1 - works great on fresh or semi-fresh sap. AND I was told it would NOT remove your LSP.

Is bug squash a soap-like product, or is it like Tarminator?

Setec Astronomy
06-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Is bug squash a soap-like product, or is it like Tarminator?

IMO Bug Squash is a useless product differentiation to get you to have another bottle of Pb`s on your shelf. It`s like some sort of weak APC or strong QD. I found it really ineffective...it`s too thin to stay on vertical surfaces...IMO you`re better off spraying the bugs with a clingy QD and letting it sit for a while.

As far as it not affecting your LSP...IMO if it`s strong enough to instantly remove sap and bugs it`s strong enough to compromise your LSP, if it`s weak enough not to, just use S&W or QD...it`s really just marketing hype to me.

AKOZ
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM
When I posted this same question a whlie back someone mentioned using my Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer since it was fresh sap. It worked for me. I sprayed each panel and the micro-fiver rag letting th eQD sit a minute. Hope it works for you.