PDA

View Full Version : Spray wax, spray sealant, QD... what do I use???

imported_DeepSouth
06-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I understand what each product is but I`m not sure which is right for me. I want something to maintain the waxed glossy look that I can apply with each wash or so.

I washed, clayed, waxed my new car 3d ago and it looks great. So what do I use after I wash next week to maintain the look between the next true wax application?

I use Meguiar`s GC shampoo and #26 wax BTW.

Thanks in advance.

kevpotts
06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I would use megs ultimate quick wax

imported_etml12
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Use of a spray wax or sealant on a regular (weekly) basis can be a bit much IMO. I tend to wax often enough that I only use "QD`s" between LSP applications such as clearkoat QS, FK425, or Pinnacle CM (note: all of these products do leave something behind). However, it is certainly possible to intermittently mix in a spray wax/sealant if desired. OCW would certainly look nice on top of M26.

GS4_Fiend
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Quick wax or detailer.

Accumulator
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Noting that I haven`t tried the new Meguiar`s Quick Wax stuff, I just use my favorite carnauba-friendly QDs after each wash (usually Griot`s SpeedShine). It`s not so much a concern about spray waxes/etc. being overkill...but the QD approach is utterly Accumulator-proof and adds some lubricity during the drying step. Yeah...gotta thoroughly launder it out of the drying media.

SVTsupremecy
06-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Ive been using Duragloss aquawax with good results...just ran out and want to try something new but im not sure since AW worked well for me.

imported_MBenz
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I have always had this feeling that the acidity of AW might actually hurt an lsp more than help it, but maybe i`m just paranoid.

One possible solution would be washing with ONR. IME it gives the lsp a good boost after every wash. ONR as a quick detailer would be great as well.

GoudyL
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
My take is that I`ll use a spray wax (Lucas Slick Mist) for after I wash my car weekly at the self service if I`m too lazy to actually wax it. I get such a kick from how the shine develops over the next 24hr after you apply it. .

For light cleaning, and instant shine, try getting some TW Ice Spray Detailer, its very impressive stuff (especially on top of synthetic waxes).

steelwind101
06-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I love the Poorboys QD+! Its like a Nattys in a spray wax/QD you do need to buff it after you wipe it on though:2thumbs:

jfelbab
06-03-2009, 07:04 AM
I like the Meg`s UQW. It only adds around 10 minutes to my wash process and leaves the car slick and shiny. No need to worry about getting it on trim or around emblems either. Fast and effective, the way I like it. I can`t say enough about the way a freshly waxed car sheds dirt. This process makes the paint almost self cleaning.

Elkiebob
06-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Griot`s Speedshine every time.

Alfisti
06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I`ve replaced my QD-after-washing with a QW-after-washing regime. Same effort but MUCH better results.

On *my* colour I find E1 WAUD looks amazing with great slickness. As does FX spray wax. FX is much easier (wipe on- wipe off QD style) but WAUD looks better on *my* colour. I know WAUD doesn`t get much love around here, but I use what works regardless of brand prestige (or lack thereof).

With this approach I`ve discovered that you need to give a final dry buff with plush MF 10 mins after application. This almost doubles the gloss, especially with WAUD.

Accumulator
06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I blow off most of the water and then spritz on the QD before doing the drying.

How do those spray-waxes work when the car is only somewhat dry?

GoudyL
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I blow off most of the water and then spritz on the QD before doing the drying.

How do those spray-waxes work when the car is only somewhat dry?

Just fine, they are dilute aqueous emulsions to begin with. If anything they help dry the car, depending on how hydrophobic the silicones are. Try it by giving a wet panel a quick spray, and see if it drops the water.

IMHO the one best parts of self-serve washing is blasting the car with "clear coat protectant" (aka Drying agent) and watching the water droplets fly everywhere.

Accumulator
06-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Just fine, they are dilute aqueous emulsions to begin with. If anything they help dry the car...

Roger that, thanks for the response. If/when I finally use up all my gallons of QD I want to have an idea regarding what to buy next.