PDA

View Full Version : What Product on thick GM leather(99 Trans Am)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Striker
05-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

I`ve been using Lexol so far but curious to try something else. The seats are in good shape, and this leather as many of you probably know is pretty thick and seems to be coated with something out of the factory.

It seems as everytime I apply Lexol, it doesnt penetrate all the way in there and just smears on the surface? I let it do its own thing and just sits there for a few days untouched because I dont drive the car that often.

Mark77
05-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds like coated leather to me, it`s like a plastic protection on the real leather underneath. Keeping it clean is the most important thing IME. There are many posts here about the confusion how to keep coated leather clean and protected.

Striker
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM
To me, it seems like it is but I am no leather expert, im sure theres someone else on here with the same car that has this type of leather. As mentioned before, it seems hard to get the lexol to penetrate and do something. It may or may not be working but so far all it does it smear on the surface and I let it sit. As for keeping the seats clean, heres what they look like. (last years pic, but nothing has changed)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/StrikerWS6/IMG_0461.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/StrikerWS6/16_Trans_Am_Driver_Seat1.jpg

Mark77
05-31-2009, 12:00 PM
They look really great for 10 year old seats, the entire interior looks like new, so you must be doing something right :)

Striker
05-31-2009, 01:47 PM
It really is, but the car is far from a daily driver. It gets driven only in the summer, if its not going to rain. No driving to work, no parking lots, movies, dinner etc. Just a cruiser. Thanks for the compliments!

However, I am debating on going with the leatherique twins (rejuvanating oil and the cleaner)

imported_detail1
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Sounds like theway I use my Grand National with T-Tops. Sometimes it`s a shame that we cant park these cars without fear of theft, vandalism or some jerk that opens thier door too wide!

Your Trans Am looks beautiful. How many miles are on it?

Striker
05-31-2009, 02:39 PM
GN`s are SWEET cars, Id like to own one. Yeah I hear you about other people not giving a crap about others nice things. If I have to leave it at a mall briefly, I just park in the very back. I thought about just taking up two or three spots but then im worried about someone being a smart *** and purposely keying the car due to my parking.

She has 22K miles as of this year.

gtppilot
05-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, same as my grand prix. It`s pvc coated leather. I used the Zaino leather cleaner, and the leather conditioner with excellent results. I still use it on the vinyl surfaces of my current car and love it. Great smell too. You should be fine with the Lexol though. Just have to buff it out with a towel after you apply it.

Striker
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
I just sat in my car today for the first time since applying lexol and my shirt was sticking a lil to it. I guess i didnt wipe it out all the way lol, i just let it sit there for three days without touching the seats.

I had a friend of mine with me in the car, and shes like "hey do you condition your seats?" Im like Uhh yeah? Thinking this is a lil weird since I just made this thread asking the same question. She goes to say "oh, well they seem a lil hard still" Crap :rolleyes: def gotta try something else. This is coming from a girl too.

SSTG
05-31-2009, 08:30 PM
I use Leather Masters on my 02 WS6.

GoudyL
05-31-2009, 08:55 PM
If the vinyl coating is thick and in good condition, you can try a very light application of armor-all and then buff it off with a cotton flannel cloth. Vinyl infused leather will always be stiffer than straight tanned leather.

The test of if you have coated leather is if water drops get absorbed into the leather, or if they bead up on it.

Striker
05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
The water will bead off, im almost positive. Ill try tomorrow.

GS4_Fiend
06-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Just get 303 Protectant and use it on the leather for UV protection so it doesn`t crack.

Striker
06-01-2009, 07:11 AM
I thought about it, but would rather not do that. I read a review on here about the leatherique twins and how well they work. The guy was doing a 94 Trans Am during his review too. Said it really produced good results.

Toysrme
06-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Lexol is the best. GM & Ford never learned what quality leather. they spent two decades trying to make a combination cup holder / headrest TV:\