PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help Polishing Nerf Bars

Bostonsfavson
05-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey fellas--hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day :usa

I have the Westin Signature Series nerf bars on my truck, which I took off this weekend to do some thorough polishing. They have some light scratches, minor rust and above all an unsightly haze on them. I *thought* that they were SS, but according to Westin they are "chrome plated mild steel."

There was some undercoating overspray on the one, and when I removed it I could see the original brilliant finish. The rest of the surface has this haze that simply will not come off. I`ve tried the following:

-Meg`s UC (w/white and orange pads w/PC)

-Mother`s Mag & Aluminum Polish

-3M Metal Polish

-0000 steel wool w/glass cleaner, various metal polishes

-Power Ball w/various metal polishes

-aluminum foil

*Nothing* is getting the haze off. Any other suggestions? Some help with these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :xyxthumbs

Bostonsfavson
05-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Anyone...?

HappyWax
05-26-2009, 08:31 AM
we are in the same boat...I`ve tried numerous products. Personally, I blame the makers of the bars not the products.

Bostonsfavson
05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
we are in the same boat...I`ve tried numerous products. Personally, I blame the makers of the bars not the products.

Sorry to hear that. I hear ya about the manufacturers. Westin is supposed to be one of the, if not *the* premier manufacturer of nerf bars. Considering their reputation and what I paid for the damn things, I would expect them to hold up a bit better. I`m hoping that someone can come through with a trick to get them cleaned up.