PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra & water spots

Pages : [1] 2

bill-sd
05-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I have a Venture Shield clear bra on my full hood, bumper, and fenders. I like it a lot btw. I noticed that somehow I got a bunch of water spots though, and can`t seem to get rid od them. Here is what I`ve tried on them (in no particular order):

clay

P21S Paintwork Cleaner

Zaino AIO

PF1 Film Cleanse

vinegar

heat gun

and I`m sure other stuff that I`ve forgotten

Can anyone recommend something that might remove the spots? They aren`t really that bad, but there are a bunch of them.

imported_odgaard
05-23-2009, 11:57 AM
a very light polish on a rotary?

bill-sd
05-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I`m a little leary of using polishes on the plastic. I`d hate to damage it.

wannafbody
05-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Try some PLASTICX from Megs.

autoconcierge
05-24-2009, 07:25 AM
If vinegar will not work, CG gel water spot remover will just be careful with this product when applying(wear gloves or your skin will flake off) also rinse with copius amounts of water after working the gel in with a soft sponge. To check that the gel is rinsed properly take a heat gun or hair dryer and hit the affected areas and see if the water spot remover re -activates, it will work but their will be LOT"S of rubbing and patience.

bill-sd
05-24-2009, 07:50 AM
If vinegar will not work, CG gel water spot remover will just be careful with this product when applying(wear gloves or your skin will flake off) also rinse with copius amounts of water after working the gel in with a soft sponge. To check that the gel is rinsed properly take a heat gun or hair dryer and hit the affected areas and see if the water spot remover re -activates, it will work but their will be LOT"S of rubbing and patience.

Sounds like a handy product to have around. Is it safe for plastic?

Detailed Autos
05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
My buddy has used CG water spot remover on his VentureShiled clear bra with good results.

His screen name is FusionM3 if you want to contact him about his application technique.

bill-sd
05-24-2009, 04:23 PM
My buddy has used CG water spot remover on his VentureShiled clear bra with good results.

His screen name is FusionM3 if you want to contact him about his application technique.

Thanks. I sent him a PM. I went ahead and ordered some CG Spot remover, and will give it a try. I`ll test it in an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn`t mess up the plastic.

MorBid
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
I`ve had good luck using 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze. After using many different types of Plastic Cleaners (Plexus, Meguiars PlastX, and Novous) this was the only thing that would clean and remove minor marring from my Clear Bra and not micro-mar the material.

Greg

bill-sd
05-24-2009, 07:53 PM
I`ve had good luck using 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze. After using many different types of Plastic Cleaners (Plexus, Meguiars PlastX, and Novous) this was the only thing that would clean and remove minor marring from my Clear Bra and not micro-mar the material.

Greg

Hey Greg. Is that a polish or more of a filler? I have used RMG on the bra, and it looks really good, but doesn`t last. It this is something that will polish out minor marring, that would be a great find. Other than these damn spots, a heat gun has really helped me keep the bra looking good. I just "heated" out a couple good size scrathes this weekend. Now if I can clear up those spot, I`ll be a happy camper :)

autoconcierge
05-24-2009, 08:05 PM
CG water spot remover is safe for the film, as for the heat gun trick 350 degrees is the max and no more than 4- 7 seconds over the scratch or film is toast(pardon the pun).

bill-sd
05-25-2009, 07:16 AM
CG water spot remover is safe for the film, as for the heat gun trick 350 degrees is the max and no more than 4- 7 seconds over the scratch or film is toast(pardon the pun).

Cool thanks. I`ll let you know how it works out for me.

I`m extra careful with the heat gun. It does work wonders on scratches, and some spots. But I`d be so pissed if I messed up the film with it!

imported_RZJZA80
05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I`ve used KAIO with PC and 4: LC black pad on speed 2-4 with great success on clear bras.

MorBid
05-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey Greg. Is that a polish or more of a filler? I have used RMG on the bra, and it looks really good, but doesn`t last. It this is something that will polish out minor marring, that would be a great find. Other than these damn spots, a heat gun has really helped me keep the bra looking good. I just "heated" out a couple good size scrathes this weekend. Now if I can clear up those spot, I`ll be a happy camper :)

I believe that these products from 3M have fillers in them (hence the Light and Dark formulas). When I was using PlastX or Plexus things would only look good until I washed the car go back to the way it was before.

I just started using the 3M stuff (more out of desperation) cause I had some laying around and wanted to see if I could save the Clear Bra on my hood. After a initial test on a small spot I was so impressed I broke out a polishing pad and machine and did the whole piece.

Water spots were gone, micro marring and cloudiness (caused by using polishes w/abrasives in them) were gone too.

I follow the process up with a wax or sealant.

After washing (traditional or ONR) it still looks like I just polished it out. Has stayed that way for a couple of months now.

I`ve posted this before but I state it here in brief. The issue with maintaining a Clear Bra`s is that the material is too soft for Plastic Polishes to be affective plus many contain some type of abrasive which will ruin the material. The same can be said for traditional polishes as well.

If there are fillers in these products so be it. It`s working for me and I can move on.

Greg

Tony1
06-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Vanilla Moose with a PC and Polishing Pad works great on my clear bra.