PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new light

Got Wax
05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
For our trailer, I am looking for a new inspection light. We use a 3M Sun Gun in the shop and thinking about something different in the trailer. Any suggestions/experience??

jmkiang
05-20-2009, 06:52 AM
I`m no expert but I think it depends on what you`re trying to inspect ie. swirls, holograms, color matching etc.

Swirls - I just picked up a Brinkmann Dual Xenon and just shining it against a wall, you can tell how smooth the output is. With the $20 B&D spotlight I had, the output was all "splotchy" due to the reflector.

Holograms - I`ve read that LEDs are the best way to detect these. I have no experience with them though so I`ll let someone else chime in.

Color matching - isn`t that what the 3M Sun Gun is for?

EDIT: look thru here

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/119269-ferrari-scuderia-almost-forgot-about-one.html

Got Wax
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM
OKay, so what is his "Crime Light"?

jmkiang
05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
"Crime light" = anything with LEDs. Don`t know the exact model so you`d probably have to PM him.

What exactly are you looking to detect? That might help people give you suggestions.

Got Wax
05-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Swirls, holograms. Not too concerned with color matching - maybe to know in advance if the car had ever received paintwork due to an accident or whatever. Think I may just try the Brinkmann this time. No sense in spending the $ on another Sun Gun.

jmkiang
05-20-2009, 10:47 AM
For paintwork, get a Highline paint thickness gauge.

You won`t regret your Brinkmann purchase. Pretty cheap. Light weight. High quality.

Accumulator
05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I`d try the Brinkman. I have a SunGun and IME it`s only so-so for inspecting.

I have various LED lights (and most everything else except the Brinkman) and they`re not all that great either.

I`ve had *ZERO* luck seeing light holograms with *any* artificial light. Severe holograms, yeah...but not the kind of faint ones that a decent rotary user might leave.

Got Wax
05-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Went with the Brinkmann. Shows swirls and scratches pretty well. I`m hoping that any marring I might leave would be corrected in the polishing phase?

Barry Theal
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a sun gun and very rarely use it anymore. i actually been checking a holograms with picture shots and a camera flash. i love led for a lot of stuff!

Got Wax
05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah. I`m actually happy with what the halogen light show. BUt, they are static lights and a PITA to move around the car. A handheld is great. We have a Sun Gun in the shop but, I would rather get the less expensive light and spend the difference on a good thickness meter.