PDA

View Full Version : $220-$300 to spend, help me choose!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

japjoe7
05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Technically I`m not new, I`ve been lurking through the forum for a few months now gathering knowledge into how to properly detail. I`m amazed at how much work and fitness goes into this art.

I`ve got $220-$300 to spend on my first detail products/equipment and would like the fellow detailers to lend me a hand and guide me in the right direction. I figured now would be the best time considering the 15%-18% discounts for the Memorial Day sales. I would like to start out with a PC 7424 and move my way up to a rotary, etc. down the line. I would also like to start out with some Menzerna products for paint correction. Yes, I`m up for other products as well. I have been looking at autogeeks site and thought the "Menzerna Porter Cable Ceramic Show Car Kit" would be a good option to start out with. I`m not really a fan of the bonnets they have in that package and would prefer 5.5" pads. But, I`m also considering just parting everything together individually.

Here is a list I`ve slowly been putting together of individual products that would ultimately be my beginner detailing stash. It`s not a complete list but maybe you can see what I should start out with first. I already have 2 buckets, tire dressing, wax, tire cleaner.

Updated: See post #38

REVISED

Porter cable 7424

LC CCS 5.5†(2 Orange, 2 White, and 2 grey), LC CCS 4" (2 orange)

303 Aerospace Protectant

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss 128oz.

Optimum Opti-Seal

Optimum Poli-Seal

light - Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish),light/medium -Menzerna PO203s, medium - Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q OR Megs M105 & M205 sampler

Cobra Microfiber Towel Multi Pack (12 total)

Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave 20x40

Grit Guard

Soooo, give your younger brother a hand. :help:

honkeybizkit
05-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Is this for detailing your personal car(s) or for doing multiple cars on the side?

You are definitely on the right track and have picked out GREAT products. I would only change a few things, depending on what you are planning to do.

-303 works great, but if you are detailing multiple cars, I have been using Optimum Protectant Plus. I buy it by the gallon, great stuff and inexpensive. I also use it on the leather after cleaning.

-Menz vs Poorboys SSR, easy win. Buy the Menzerna and don`t look back.

-Leatherique - I hear great stuff about it, never used it. If you are using this for clients cars, you better charge extra as a service, as it is expensive. It also suggests a long dwell time that can interfere with scheduling and overall productivity. If its just for yourself, a ton of people swear by it. If it`s for clients, charge accordingly.

- I noticed you don`t have a Quick Detailer on the list. May I suggest Optimum Instant Detailer? Great stuff, buy it in the 32oz concentrate and dilute 3:1 with distilled water. Great stuff, and inexpensive. I even like it better than more expensive QDs.

Good Luck.

PerroneFord
05-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks pretty good. Few things I`d change:

1. Unless you plan on doing both parts of Klasse (AIO & KSG) I`d say the AIO alone isn`t worth it. Not from my experience anyway. Poli-Seal did much better for me in 1 step.

2. I didn`t see any clay or lube listed. Nor did I see any quick detailer. Since you already have Poli-Seal listed, maybe replace the Klasse AIO with some clay and ONR.

3. Didn`t see any brushes listed (other than the 1 wheel brush), and you`re gonna want some.

4. I hear good things about Menzerna polishes, and if you plan on doing the ceramic clearcoat cars it`s a no-brainer. But I went with Poorboys and Optimum because I can work both in the sun. Maybe you have a nice garage to work in.

5. What are you planning on using for glass?

6. What are you planning to use for metal and chrome?

Best of luck as you start out! Looks like you`re well on your way.

japjoe7
05-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Is this for detailing your personal car(s) or for doing multiple cars on the side?

You are definitely on the right track and have picked out GREAT products. I would only change a few things, depending on what you are planning to do.

-303 works great, but if you are detailing multiple cars, I have been using Optimum Protectant Plus. I buy it by the gallon, great stuff and inexpensive. I also use it on the leather after cleaning.

-Menz vs Poorboys SSR, easy win. Buy the Menzerna and don`t look back.

-Leatherique - I hear great stuff about it, never used it. If you are using this for clients cars, you better charge extra as a service, as it is expensive. It also suggests a long dwell time that can interfere with scheduling and overall productivity. If its just for yourself, a ton of people swear by it. If it`s for clients, charge accordingly.

- I noticed you don`t have a Quick Detailer on the list. May I suggest Optimum Instant Detailer? Great stuff, buy it in the 32oz concentrate and dilute 3:1 with distilled water. Great stuff, and inexpensive. I even like it better than more expensive QDs.

Good Luck.

For the time being I`m just detailing my car, my wifes car, and fathers truck. Basically cars and truck that I can test on. I hear ya on the Optimum Protectant +. My car is the only one with leather so Leatherique is just for me. oh yeah forgot about the quick detailer, I like Optimum also. Thanks!

Looks pretty good. Few things I`d change:

1. Unless you plan on doing both parts of Klasse (AIO & KSG) I`d say the AIO alone isn`t worth it. Not from my experience anyway. Poli-Seal did much better for me in 1 step.

2. I didn`t see any clay or lube listed. Nor did I see any quick detailer. Since you already have Poli-Seal listed, maybe replace the Klasse AIO with some clay and ONR.

3. Didn`t see any brushes listed (other than the 1 wheel brush), and you`re gonna want some.

4. I hear good things about Menzerna polishes, and if you plan on doing the ceramic clearcoat cars it`s a no-brainer. But I went with Poorboys and Optimum because I can work both in the sun. Maybe you have a nice garage to work in.

5. What are you planning on using for glass?

6. What are you planning to use for metal and chrome?

Best of luck as you start out! Looks like you`re well on your way.

I would be using Klasse for metal chrome surfaces. I have a Mother`s clay bar kit I got a while back from Autozone but I don`t feel that`s up to par bases on what I`ve been reading on the forum. What do you suggest for clay? I`ll add a few other detail brushes. I have a garage to work in, not a TON of room but adequate for detailing.

PerroneFord
05-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I am FAR from an expert on clay! I`ve been using the OTC Megs clay for a while and that`s been good. I just bought some Megs aggressive clay for a job I`ve got coming up this weekend (Mustang that`s had 3 teenage owners since 1999!). A lot of people seem to like the Riccardo clay, and Claymagic clay. I`d start by looking at those.

I noticed you mentioned using Optimum QD. Since I don`t do this professionally, I try to combine products where possible. So for me, things like like ONR which can serve multiple purposes make the most sense. Same with my Woolite and Megs APC+. Keeps me from having to buy a little of this, and a little of that. I`ve only got so much shelf space! :)

Best of luck.

japjoe7
05-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I am FAR from an expert on clay! I`ve been using the OTC Megs clay for a while and that`s been good. I just bought some Megs aggressive clay for a job I`ve got coming up this weekend (Mustang that`s had 3 teenage owners since 1999!). A lot of people seem to like the Riccardo clay, and Claymagic clay. I`d start by looking at those.

I noticed you mentioned using Optimum QD. Since I don`t do this professionally, I try to combine products where possible. So for me, things like like ONR which can serve multiple purposes make the most sense. Same with my Woolite and Megs APC+. Keeps me from having to buy a little of this, and a little of that. I`ve only got so much shelf space! :)

Best of luck.

Thanks! Woolite has definitely been on the list but just didn`t think to add it either.

PerroneFord
05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Those Montana brushes are awesome too, but I`m to cheap. So I bought some shoe-shine brushes with horsehair. Works GREAT on leather. Nice and soft. I have noticed the odor of it a bit, but it`s just the brush and not the leather.

I did a comparo yesterday on some leather:

Woolite/Effax vs Lexol pH cleaner/Lexol conditioner

Both worked about the same, Woolite is WAY cheaper, Effax is way nicer. The Lexol conditioner smells so good though I think I`ll keep using it for leather that`s in good shape already.

I avoid products with a lot of perfumed smells, but some things just smell "clean". Woolite and Lexol are two of those.

japjoe7
05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Those Montana brushes are awesome too, but I`m to cheap. So I bought some shoe-shine brushes with horsehair. Works GREAT on leather. Nice and soft. I have noticed the odor of it a bit, but it`s just the brush and not the leather.

I did a comparo yesterday on some leather:

Woolite/Effax vs Lexol pH cleaner/Lexol conditioner

Both worked about the same, Woolite is WAY cheaper, Effax is way nicer. The Lexol conditioner smells so good though I think I`ll keep using it for leather that`s in good shape already.

I avoid products with a lot of perfumed smells, but some things just smell "clean". Woolite and Lexol are two of those.

I`ll try them out. I`m not a big fan of perfume smelling cleaners so I`ll have to give it a try and see if it bothers me. While at car shows or just in a car in general, I find it distracting when a car smells something other than a new car smell. Lexol was my next choice after Leatherique so I`ll have to contend with price and availability. hmmm...

GS4_Fiend
05-19-2009, 06:08 PM
PC, 5.5" CCS pads colors:orange, white, and blue. 303. And which ever wax you like.

Accumulator
05-19-2009, 06:41 PM
japjoe7- Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

I find 4" pads to be the best for correction via PC.

I wouldn`t use the KAIO alone on chrome either. I just don`t see any application for AIO by itself what with the Optimum stuff you`re buying :nixweiss

IMO Leatherique is a mighty labor-intensive way of dealing with leather. I never got around to trying mine even though I have leather interiors in most of my vehicles. Truth is, I hardly *EVER* treat my leather interiors and they don`t seem to suffer from it...I just keep them clean and occasionally use Leather Master`s stuff. FWIW, I too like my cars to smell like they did when new and that`s one reason why I don`t treat the leather very often (also, IMO it`s just not necessary).

IMO there`s nothing wrong with Mother`s clay. ClayMagic blue, usually available OTC, is well-regarded by people I respect. For milder claying I use Sonus green Ultra Fine (my favorite clay is off the market so no point in recommending that).

While plenty of people love Menzerna, I`d recommend you just get the Meguiar`s M105/M205 twins.

I`d make sure you have *GOOD* lighting to do your work/inspecting.

I`d get additional WWMFs.

I`d actually be concentrating on sorting out your wash regimen so you don`t reinstill marring after you get things all polished up. Polishing should be a very infrequent process but the washes happen all the time so *that`s* where I`d always put the emphasis. A foamgun and BHB would take a sizable chunk out of your budget but I won`t wash without them.

japjoe7
05-20-2009, 07:45 AM
japjoe7- Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

I find 4" pads to be the best for correction via PC.

I wouldn`t use the KAIO alone on chrome either. I just don`t see any application for AIO by itself what with the Optimum stuff you`re buying :nixweiss

IMO Leatherique is a mighty labor-intensive way of dealing with leather. I never got around to trying mine even though I have leather interiors in most of my vehicles. Truth is, I hardly *EVER* treat my leather interiors and they don`t seem to suffer from it...I just keep them clean and occasionally use Leather Master`s stuff. FWIW, I too like my cars to smell like they did when new and that`s one reason why I don`t treat the leather very often (also, IMO it`s just not necessary).

IMO there`s nothing wrong with Mother`s clay. ClayMagic blue, usually available OTC, is well-regarded by people I respect. For milder claying I use Sonus green Ultra Fine (my favorite clay is off the market so no point in recommending that).

While plenty of people love Menzerna, I`d recommend you just get the Meguiar`s M105/M205 twins.

I`d make sure you have *GOOD* lighting to do your work/inspecting.

I`d get additional WWMFs.

I`d actually be concentrating on sorting out your wash regimen so you don`t reinstill marring after you get things all polished up. Polishing should be a very infrequent process but the washes happen all the time so *that`s* where I`d always put the emphasis. A foamgun and BHB would take a sizable chunk out of your budget but I won`t wash without them.

After adding up all the stuff on my list it came to over $400 WITH 15%-18% discount, so....I`m gunna substitute the Menzerna for the Megs M105 & M205 sampler until I get some experience with paint correction and then move up. Also, I`m gunna remove the Leatherique for the time being and a few less pads than I would like. How does 2 orange CCS, 1 white, and 1 black sound?

MrCLRider
05-20-2009, 09:03 AM
if you do not mind cleaning your pads often, that will be enough. I would have atleast 3 of the orange and white though.

PerroneFord
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
if you do not mind cleaning your pads often, that will be enough. I would have atleast 3 of the orange and white though.

Yep, either invest in a pad cleaner, or buy lotsa pads! :) I tried to cut it close on pads too, especially since mine are double sided. Guess what just came in the mail today? An order that doubled my pad count. And I know I still need 5-10 more. Since you`re just doing your own cars at this point, probably not a big deal. But when you have clients waiting for cars, the game changes.

Accumulator
05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
After adding up all the stuff on my list it came to over $400 WITH 15%-18% discount, so....I`m gunna substitute the Menzerna for the Megs M105 & M205 sampler until I get some experience with paint correction and then move up. Also, I`m gunna remove the Leatherique for the time being and a few less pads than I would like. How does 2 orange CCS, 1 white, and 1 black sound?

If I`m reading this right, you`re getting the M105/M205 instead of the Menzerna, right?

If you`re only gonna buy four pads I`d consider only using one orange and cleaning it more often. Having two white pads would let you do the final M105 passes with a white pad, which works out well (only use the orange for the really aggressive work). You`d then use the other white pad with the M205.

The finishing pad might be best used for the final passes with the M205 instead of with the Optimum stuff, and I`d give some thought to those Optimum products. I`m not familiar enough with them to comment, but I do wonder if you need both Opti-Seal and Poly-Seal :think:

I`ve never felt the need for a pad cleaner; I just stop and wash out the pads with Dawn and squeeze them dry with a cotton towel. Cleaning them by wiping with a cotton towel every now and then helps to keep them from getting awfully loaded up.

BUT...[stuff] happens when it comes to pads and it`s better to have spares and not need them than to have something like a velcro failure in the middle of a job (that could bring things to a screeching halt).

IMO you could skip the 303 too. I have it, I like it, but I hardly ever use it. I just don`t dress all that much stuff to be honest.

I`d rather put the money into good wash equipment and lighting and just use something like Collinite, but that`s just me. IMO you could skip *everything* for the interiors and just use the woolite/water mix for cleaning and/or Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer (the scent dissipates quickly and a bottle lasts a long time) if you really need to do something.

japjoe7
05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Yep, either invest in a pad cleaner, or buy lotsa pads! :) I tried to cut it close on pads too, especially since mine are double sided. Guess what just came in the mail today? An order that doubled my pad count. And I know I still need 5-10 more. Since you`re just doing your own cars at this point, probably not a big deal. But when you have clients waiting for cars, the game changes.

Yeah for the time being until I`m confident to do other verhicles I`ll just be doing mine, my fathers, and my wife`s. I`ll have time to clean pads if need be.

If I`m reading this right, you`re getting the M105/M205 instead of the Menzerna, right?

If you`re only gonna buy four pads I`d consider only using one orange and cleaning it more often. Having two white pads would let you do the final M105 passes with a white pad, which works out well (only use the orange for the really aggressive work). You`d then use the other white pad with the M205.

The finishing pad might be best used for the final passes with the M205 instead of with the Optimum stuff, and I`d give some thought to those Optimum products. I`m not familiar enough with them to comment, but I do wonder if you need both Opti-Seal and Poly-Seal :think:

I`ve never felt the need for a pad cleaner; I just stop and wash out the pads with Dawn and squeeze them dry with a cotton towel. Cleaning them by wiping with a cotton towel every now and then helps to keep them from getting awfully loaded up.

BUT...[stuff] happens when it comes to pads and it`s better to have spares and not need them than to have something like a velcro failure in the middle of a job (that could bring things to a screeching halt).

IMO you could skip the 303 too. I have it, I like it, but I hardly ever use it. I just don`t dress all that much stuff to be honest.

I`d rather put the money into good wash equipment and lighting and just use something like Collinite, but that`s just me. IMO you could skip *everything* for the interiors and just use the woolite/water mix for cleaning and/or Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer (the scent dissipates quickly and a bottle lasts a long time) if you really need to do something.

I think I may splurge and get additional pads, just a few more though. 2 orange 5.5, 2 white 5.5, 2 black 5.5, 1 red 5.5, and 2 orange 4". Woolite is a definite too.