PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Wax?

Pages : [1] 2

GS4_Fiend
05-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Why do you want to strip the wax? What`s the harm for not?

jDizzle
05-19-2009, 12:11 AM
in general? perhaps one wishes to apply some sort of finnikey product like klasse SG, which wont stick to anything very well accept for fresh clean unwaxed paint, or aio apparently..

wfedwar
05-19-2009, 04:18 AM
And it can cause gumming issues with some polishes.

TSC17
05-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Wash the car using a product like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear. It can be used safely for normal washes, or paint prep ratio to strip wax. I use it before every one of my details.

02zx9r
05-19-2009, 05:55 AM
strip off all of the older wax so you can have a clean base to apply another wax or sealant, especially if you dont need to do any correcting work.

Kind of like a painter, start with a clean canvas

Bert
05-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Wash the car using a product like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear. It can be used safely for normal washes, or paint prep ratio to strip wax. I use it before every one of my details.

Same here. It leaves a wonderful, clean, bare finish for claying, polishing, etc.. I no longer need P21S TAW to strip the wax and grime before a detail. It is also a decent clay lube.

GS4_Fiend
05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I usually to detail my car like every month at least. And I use only NXT everytime I detail my car. Is that okay?

I also clayed previous when I first got my PC 7424 which was like a month ago. So, I`m going to wax the car again.

Bert
05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
I usually to detail my car like every month at least. And I use only NXT everytime I detail my car. Is that okay?

I also clayed previous when I first got my PC 7424 which was like a month ago. So, I`m going to wax the car again.

When you say you detail your car like every month at least, does that entail simply applying a fresh coat of NXT after a wash? If so, that is fine.

When I said above I like to strip the LSP before a detail that generally involves claying and paint cleaning or polishing to some degree before applying my LSP. In those cases I do like to strip the LSP because claying and paint cleaning/polishing just seems to go better for me in those cases. Now if I an just putting a fresh coat of LSP on my paint, I won`t strip the old coat off, will probably just do a light claying then apply the fresh LSP.

GS4_Fiend
05-20-2009, 11:59 PM
When you say you detail your car like every month at least, does that entail simply applying a fresh coat of NXT after a wash? If so, that is fine.

When I said above I like to strip the LSP before a detail that generally involves claying and paint cleaning or polishing to some degree before applying my LSP. In those cases I do like to strip the LSP because claying and paint cleaning/polishing just seems to go better for me in those cases. Now if I an just putting a fresh coat of LSP on my paint, I won`t strip the old coat off, will probably just do a light claying then apply the fresh LSP.

Yes, I only clay once in a while. Like when I feel my paint is ruff, I would clay then wax. Or else I would just apply fresh NXT on a DA every month. I don`t really polish because my paint is still in good condition. Applying only NXT everytime I detail gives it a strong deep texture look and shins like a mother out in the sun. Just one issue, that is the swirls.

dan46n2
05-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Yes, I only clay once in a while. Like when I feel my paint is ruff, I would clay then wax. Or else I would just apply fresh NXT on a DA every month. I don`t really polish because my paint is still in good condition. Applying only NXT everytime I detail gives it a strong deep texture look and shins like a mother out in the sun. Just one issue, that is the swirls.

Are you saying the NXT is causing swirls or your paint has swirls in the clear coat? If they are in the clear coat you need to polish them out, strip the wax first though.

jmkiang
05-21-2009, 06:36 AM
strip off all of the older wax so you can have a clean base to apply another wax or sealant, especially if you dont need to do any correcting work.

What if all you want to do is wash, AIO, sealant / wax? Would wash with regular car soap or something that would strip the existing LSP?

Bert
05-21-2009, 07:59 AM
What if all you want to do is wash, AIO, sealant / wax? Would wash with regular car soap or something that would strip the existing LSP?

You don`t have to strip the LSP off, I just like to when I am going to clay and clean (which an AIO will do) the paint. But by no means is it mandatory. I am sure there are some who`s opinion is that stripping the LSP is a waste of time if you are going to clean the paint with an AIO.

jmkiang
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM
So when using an AIO, theres no need to clay either? Hmmm

GS4_Fiend
05-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you saying the NXT is causing swirls or your paint has swirls in the clear coat? If they are in the clear coat you need to polish them out, strip the wax first though.

I don`t think the NXT would cause swirls, even though it has tiny cleaning power. But it was there of course when I bought it. I don`t think my Blue CCS pads would induce swirls. Or would it? They say the PC 7424 is safe.

Bert
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
So when using an AIO, theres no need to clay either? Hmmm

You most likely will still want to clay if it has been a while since you have clayed. Using an AIO does not eliminate the need for claying.