PDA

View Full Version : Tried the PC again today with better results

king nothing
05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
The first time I tried the PC I got less than stellar results

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/118584-first-pc-use-newb-questions.html

Since then ive ordered more pads and some M105. Took the tailgate off my truck today and tossed it on the sawhorses. It was swirled fairly badly and scratched from a runin with the "foaming brush" at the carwash before I knew any better. I used the M105 with an orange light cutting 4 inch edge (cyclo) pad. It took the swirls and scratches right off. I then went to the green polishing 4 inch edge pad and menzerna intensive polish, which I dont think did much (maybe I needed to use a more agressive pad with this product) . What Im left with is a surface that looks "rippled" like the top of a lake. Is it possible to polish that down smooth with the PC or is that something that needs to be done with a rotary (Or not at all?). the paint on my dodge as well as the wifes tahoe both look like this, but my mustang is smooth as it gets.

Overall, im much happier with my results today. I attribute my better results to the M105 as well as working slower and with more pressure. Im sure there is the potential for better results but Im learning. i ordered some 4 inch PFW pads but Im kind of afraid to use them

RaskyR1
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
The first time I tried the PC I got less than stellar results

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/118584-first-pc-use-newb-questions.html

Since then ive ordered more pads and some M105. Took the tailgate off my truck today and tossed it on the sawhorses. It was swirled fairly badly and scratched from a runin with the "foaming brush" at the carwash before I knew any better. I used the M105 with an orange light cutting 4 inch edge (cyclo) pad. It took the swirls and scratches right off. I then went to the green polishing 4 inch edge pad and menzerna intensive polish, which I dont think did much (maybe I needed to use a more agressive pad with this product) . What Im left with is a surface that looks "rippled" like the top of a lake. Is it possible to polish that down smooth with the PC or is that something that needs to be done with a rotary (Or not at all?). the paint on my dodge as well as the wifes tahoe both look like this, but my mustang is smooth as it gets.

Overall, im much happier with my results today. I attribute my better results to the M105 as well as working slower and with more pressure. Im sure there is the potential for better results but Im learning. i ordered some 4 inch PFW pads but Im kind of afraid to use them

Orange peel needs to be removed by wet sanding...not something you should do on factory paint though.

Glad to hear you had better results this time around. :up

imported_sal329
05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Glad to hear you got a lot better results this time around. As Rasky mentioned the rippled look you see is orange peel, it is something to just live with on a factory painted car.

king nothing
05-18-2009, 02:18 PM
As Rasky mentioned the rippled look you see is orange peel, it is something to just live with on a factory painted car.Thats the suck. you would think two vehicles with 50k plus stickers would have decent paint

PerroneFord
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I`ve seen 100k cars with orange peel. That extra money just doesn`t usually find it`s way to the paint booth.

king nothing
05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Guess Ill get them looking as good as I can then. Is there anything i can do to minimize the orange peel?

Should I be getting some hazing or anything with the M105? It seemed like the M105 with the orange pad finished last step ready IMO. Should I have had to use a finer polish or is this typical?

imported_sal329
05-18-2009, 04:50 PM
When I worked for BMW I was shocked to see just about every car in the showroom with Orange peel. M105 with a PC finishes very close to LSP ready, I follow up with 205 or Menz Final Polish.

king nothing
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Sweet, thanks. i thought I was doing something wrong. Next time ill try my final polish 2 instead of the IP