PDA

View Full Version : Order list - anything missing?

Pages : [1] 2

stook2001
05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Hello, I just submitted orders for my baseline detailing kit for cleaning up my black `04 Subaru. The paint has been neglected and requires correction. I’ll be using a PC polisher for this work in the next couple of weeks. Please let me know if there are any important supplies that I have missed!

From ADS:

Arnold sheepskin washmitt

Meguiars M105

Meguiars M205

3.5†DA backing plate

6 blue microfiber towels for $1 each

From Autogeek:

2 Buckets (**deleted, getting buckets from Home Depot**)

1 Grit guard

Duragloss 901

Optimum No Rinse

Detailers Pride Wheel Cleaner

Stoners Glass Cleaner

Optimum Poli-Seal

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

4 – 4†Orange LC pads (**replaced with 5.5" pads, per feedback**)

4 – 4†White LC pads (**replaced with 5.5" pads, per feedback**)

2 – 4†Black LC pads (**replaced with 5.5" pads, per feedback**)

Detailers Pride Clay Bar

From Walmart:

Meguiars Claybar kit (**deleted, per feedack**)

king nothing
05-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Why would you spend 13 dollars apiece on buckets from autogeek when you can go to lowes/home depot/walmart and get them for 4 bucks each. Take the 18 bucks you save and buy some clay from autogeek. the megs kit doesnt come with much clay and you can use your ONR for clay lube and QD so you dont need the QD from the megs kit. What are you planning to dry with. the dollar microfibers arent gonna go far

PerroneFord
05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Where to start. You`ve got 5 year old "soft" Subaru paint. You plan on polishing the entire car with 4` pads? Get some decent microfibers too.

You`re going to want a couple decent wheel brushes because the stock Subie wheels suck to clean. Yoi`re going to want some trim restorer most likely as your trim around the windows, mirrors, by the windshield wipers, and a few other places is likely going to be faded. Probably going to want something to dress the tires with.

Overall, looks like a good start though.

stook2001
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Why would you spend 13 dollars apiece on buckets from autogeek when you can go to lowes/home depot/walmart and get them for 4 bucks each. Take the 18 bucks you save and buy some clay from autogeek. the megs kit doesnt come with much clay and you can use your ONR for clay lube and QD so you dont need the QD from the megs kit. What are you planning to dry with. the dollar microfibers arent gonna go far

Ah, didn`t realize that the buckets were a standard item. I will look to revise that - thank you for the tip. I`ll also take into account the clay swap. Not sure what to do about towels. For drying purposes, should I get some larger MF towels from Target? More of the small ones from ADS?

thanks!

stook2001
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Where to start. You`ve got 5 year old "soft" Subaru paint. You plan on polishing the entire car with 4` pads? Get some decent microfibers too.

You`re going to want a couple decent wheel brushes because the stock Subie wheels suck to clean. Yoi`re going to want some trim restorer most likely as your trim around the windows, mirrors, by the windshield wipers, and a few other places is likely going to be faded. Probably going to want something to dress the tires with.

Overall, looks like a good start though.

From what I had been reading, the 4" pads were suggested for use with the PC. No? Should I go with the 5.5" instead? I`m not all that concerned about the trim restore and there actually is very little black plastic trim on the car. Same thing with the tire dressing - not currently a priority for me.

PerroneFord
05-18-2009, 02:50 PM
4" pads are great for correction, but a bit small in my opinion to do EVERYTHING on the car. I`ve done correction on my `02 WRX with 6.5" pads and polish less aggressive than 105. Just be cautious.

stook2001
05-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Gotcha, thanks for your advice. I`ve requested swapping out to 5.5" pads. I`ve also tried adding the DP 20 gram clay bar and dropping the buckets.

thanks for all the input.

MrCLRider
05-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Can you describe, or give a link to, the buckets that you are speaking of at Lowes that will except the grit guard?? For the life of me I cannot find a bucket that the grit guard will go all the way to the bottom.

king nothing
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Standard 5 gallon bucket. I just went out and you are right, my grit guard does not go all the way to the bottom. It stops 1/2 inch from the bottom... never knew that

king nothing
05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
4" pads are great for correction, but a bit small in my opinion to do EVERYTHING on the car. I`ve done correction on my `02 WRX with 6.5" pads and polish less aggressive than 105. Just be cautious.See, everyone and their mother has been telling me to use 4 inch pads for everything with my pc because 6 inch is too big. Ill have to try my 6 inch wave orange pad out now and see if it works well or not

MrCLRider
05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Mine stops about a quarter way from the bottom..so about 5in`s I would guess..

king nothing
05-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Mine stops about a quarter way from the bottom..so about 5in`s I would guess..

Mine is definitely within 1/2 inch of the bottom in my menards bucket and my wal mart bucket

PerroneFord
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
See, everyone and their mother has been telling me to use 4 inch pads for everything with my pc because 6 inch is too big. Ill have to try my 6 inch wave orange pad out now and see if it works well or not

A lot depends on what you are doing, and what you are using too. It`s true that using a normal swirl remover and 6.5" pads wasn`t going to get much done on the PC. But enter M105 and suddenly, the PC`s ability just got ramped up. Add the 5.5" CCS pads and suddenly you don`t have to do everything with 4" pads any more. If I were concentrating on taking out some tough scratches or that kind of thing, then yes, the 4" pads make good sense, and I have some. But with 4" orange pads, M105, and light pressure, you can polish your way to bare metal with the PC!

I think your 6" Wave pad with M105 will do some serious work. Let us know your results. I have some 6" green flat (Edge) pads that I will be using this weekend for compounding, along with some 4" orange Cyclo pads. Then I`ll move to white for my AIO.

ohiostate
05-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Can you describe, or give a link to, the buckets that you are speaking of at Lowes that will except the grit guard?? For the life of me I cannot find a bucket that the grit guard will go all the way to the bottom.

:LOLOL :LOLOL

stook2001
05-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I think I am going to start with the White 5.5" pads and the M105. I primarily got the Meguiars products since I wanted the faster process vs. something like the Optimum compound.