PDA

View Full Version : How to handle dust and pollen

Pages : [1] 2

cptzippy
05-18-2009, 11:51 AM
There are a lot of thread now talking about pollen season and how to take care of dust and pollen on the finish between washes. Don`t think there is a consensus but I`m still trying to figure out a plan...

How do you handle the problem?

tom p.
05-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Wash as needed. That`s typically 1X per week year-round.

imported_RZJZA80
05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
both nothing, dust is better than marring, and wash as needed. Obviously when the first gets annoying, do the second.

wascallyrabbit
05-18-2009, 07:28 PM
with onr it takes about as long as it does to qd the car. although i`m guilty of using several if not all the above methods.

Legacy
05-18-2009, 07:33 PM
If it`s dust only I would Qd only if it`s light dust. If it`s pollen and dust, no question but wash.

cptzippy
05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Looks like wash is pulling away...

Accumulator
05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I went with "nothing" as I`ll usually wait until a dusty/pollen-covered car gets rained on (whereupon it really looks terrible) before I bother washing it.

willtothewong
05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
i would just wash it

i would only qd if i had just washed the car a day ago, more than that, washing would be the best way to minimize possible marring

=D

and yes, because ONR is so simple, it takes almost as long to wash it than to qd it

MorBid
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I voted for washing as well. With Black Paint I would love nothing more than to QD or ONR the Car but resist the temptation as I would rather have the pollen and dust than marring.

Greg

ohiostate
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
i would just wash it

i would only qd if i had just washed the car a day ago, more than that, washing would be the best way to minimize possible marring

=D

and yes, because ONR is so simple, it takes almost as long to wash it than to qd it

agree...........

sriquixotic
05-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Use a blower then qd and microfiber.

Striker
05-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Lets say its just dust. The cars surface is protected well with many coats of wax. Can I safely use a QD and a microfiber? I washed the car last nite, took her for a quick rip thru downtown and back and now it has some dust on it.

Is this safe?

944obscene
05-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I live here in the middle of the dust bowl. Kid you not, when I get done washing/detailing my car- I can`t even make it a full day without noticeable amounts of dust/pollen laying on the car! After half a week, you can see it out in the sun, on the hood etc.

I just wash my car on a regular basis and try to keep ahead of the dust build-up.

spotter
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I really don`t have much need for QD ...... ONR wash is just about as easy. If I am not doing the wheels there isn`t more than 5 minutes difference between an ONR wash and using a QD except that I don`t have to worry about marring with ONR. If it is not raining I have no problem with doing an ONR wash every 2-3 days.

MorBid
05-23-2009, 05:59 AM
Lets say its just dust. The cars surface is protected well with many coats of wax. Can I safely use a QD and a microfiber? I washed the car last nite, took her for a quick rip thru downtown and back and now it has some dust on it.

Is this safe?

In the end it`s really going to depend on what type of "dust" we are talking about.

I break it down into two categories.

1) Normal Dust - this stuff is similar to the type found inside the house. It`ll usually just blow off. I don`t mind using a QD on that.

2) Road Dust - This is the dust that comes from un-paved driveways/parking lots, the dirt that naturally accumulates along the sides of the road, or from where there has been building/road construction going on.

This stuff usually contains dirt, gravel, sand, and asphalt to name a few. It`s gritty by nature and I don`t see how a Quick Detailer can make it softer or dissolve it. So I would rather rinse it off before doing any cleaning.

I guess what I`m trying to say is not to generalize. Where you went and for how long isn`t as much of a factor as is what you encountered during the trip. That will determine you plan of attack.

moRbiD