PDA

View Full Version : Is there a duster that works well?

jhe888
05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
It`ll be pretty dry here soon, and cars get dusty more than wet. Is there a duster that will safely remove loose dirt? Or is there some other way to clean a car in between full washes without spending an inordinate amount of time?

Thanks.

PeaceKeeper
05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Someone gave me a California Duster set, I use the small one on my dash. I know people say they are safe but I just don`t trust them on my exterior paint.

yourgrandma
05-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I havent tried one on my black Bonneville yet, but on my previous two dark blue cars, the only marks I ever had from California dusters was if they were brand new, they`d leave a waxy streak that a MF would take right off. I think the trick is A not to try to wash the car with it and B to just barely let the little tenticals dangle above the paint.

Sure beats washing the car every single day.

Black150
05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
The california duster does work pretty good. As said above, when new it will probably leave wax streaks if you don`t follow the directions. It says to let it sit on a piece of newspaper for a couple days to release any excess parafin wax. I didn`t catch that the first time i used it and got streaks, but a detail spray took care of that with ease.

Bostonsfavson
05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
When I was out in Vegas (dust central), I used the CCD on my front windshield and tonneau cover only. I don`t trust them on the paint, especially black.

black03mach
05-18-2009, 07:10 AM
When I was out in Vegas (dust central), I used the CCD on my front windshield and tonneau cover only. I don`t trust them on the paint, especially black.

On my three black cars with varying clearcoat sensitivity it doesnt mar them so long as you go lightly and its a fine dust (not like three days worth of sitting through sandstorms)

jhe888
05-18-2009, 09:14 AM
My car is black, and I was also worried about scratching. Any other solution?

I just don`t have the time (or inclination) to be washing the car every two or three days. I did a full, careful wash Saturday and applied two coats of Z5 (over ZAIO) Saturday and Sunday and this morning, there was already dust. I was going to take a photo, because the Zaino looks great, but the dust spoiled it.

Accumulator
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
My car is black, and I was also worried about scratching. Any other solution?

I just don`t have the time (or inclination) to be washing the car every two or three days..

Sorry to hear the dust spoiled the photo-op, but IMO the only way to minimize the chance of marring is to simply *NOT* touch the paint in any way in-between regular washes.

With a CCD or any other such stuff, sooner or later you`re gonna drag a speck of abrasive [stuff] across the paint with sufficient pressure to cause marring. It`s a case of "when", not "if". For that matter, the same holds true with the most careful of washing/drying/*anything*...all you can do is minimize the chances as best you can.

eddie926
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I`ve never tried a duster. I just mix up a small batch of ONR and give the car a quick single bucket wash. If it`s only dusty and the wheels don`t need to be cleaned, etc., I can wipe down the whole car in a matter of minutes.