PDA

View Full Version : What is taking me so long?

Irkie500
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
I did a car this past weekend for a family friend it was a minivan which wasnt to bad considering they have 6 kids. Now I can go quite quickly when in comes to the interior because I did it for a job for a year and a half, however I think my exterior wash process slows me down the most. I did just get some ONR and have yet to use it but I hear it speeds things up. I guess my question is what is your process for washing a vehicle? here is mine...

Spray down (not anymore with ONR)

Wash Car

Rims, Tires and Wheel Wells

Dry Car (By the time i get here water spots have formed forcing me to rinse again)

I need to change something but im not sure what, maybe do the rims tires and wells first?

Barry Theal
05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
irkie here is how i do it if this helps. i always do motor first if needed. next i move onto wheels and tires then door jams then wash. good luck i think you just need to find something that works for you and stick with it. everyone has there own ways!

Irkie500
05-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Barry, I suppose once I do more vehicles Ill get it down eventualy but when I did that can it took me a solid hour just to wash the car and it wasnt terribly dirty either, even the rims just needed a good degreasing and scrubbing thats what held me up the most, ill try doing wheels first next time and see how that works, thanks again.

oski83
05-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I think an hour for a wash & wheels isnt that bad...considering the condition of course

AeroCleanse
05-16-2009, 05:31 PM
If you use ONR, dry each section as you do it, then you won`t have water spots.

Irkie500
05-16-2009, 05:37 PM
This car was not washed using ONR as I did not have it at the time so I am excited to see how much faster I can go with it. To me an hour was way to long for this car, it was mildly dirty and needed just a little extra attention to the lower pannels for the bugs and grime.

imported_Jakerooni
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Well here`s how I do it. I have a 2 gallon chemical sprayer mixed with my APC. I spreay down the engine all of the jambs and the tires and wells. Let dwell for a couple of minutes and then spray it all down with my PW. Grab a couple of buckets and wash it down.. Then rinse. Total wash process takes me about 15 minutes give or take.

DetailnByDustn
05-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah I would hit the wheels and fender walls, then wash, then dry as soon as you can, also avoid washing in direct sunlight and try and dry in the shade.

jmkiang
05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Damn 15 mins?? I need to work on shortening my wash times!

Envious Eric
05-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I washed the porsche I am currently working on in about 15 minutes with a hose and bucket! it goes a lot faster knowing you are going to clay and compound/polish the thing after!

if I am simply washing a car, then I average about 45 min with ONR. ONR takes time, it just doesnt have the spray down, or the rinse time! Everything else is the same as you still have to "wash" the car. so if it takes you 2 min to pre-rinse the car, and 3 minutes to rinse it off, then ONR will save you only about 5 minutes or so...IME