PDA

View Full Version : Experiencing poor Zaino durability on daily driver

Pages : [1] 2

peterp
05-16-2009, 01:09 PM
There isn`t a bigger Zaino fan than me and it lasts forever on my "almost" garage queen. I also used Zaino on my wife`s daily driver (ZAIO, Z5, Z3, CS) and it seems to have very poor durability. I cleaned it and applied a coat of Z5 followed by CS about 2 months ago and when I wash it now there is absolutely no water repelling like nothing is on it. Zaino is known for durability, and I`m seeing it on my other car but not sure why it performs so poorly on my wife`s car. Has anybody else experienced this? Could it be that Z5 is not durable unless followed by Z2 or 3?

kustomsol
05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
In my experience, I`ve had good durability with Z-AIO, Z-5, and Z-CSZ-5 on a DD, especially with the regimen you used on hers. Your location could affect the duration of any product. In the past, there have been posts from Florida noting poor durability with Zaino. You might ask Sal if you don`t find any answers here.

What is your wife`s DD that would require Z-3 (for regular paint instead of clear coat)??? That could be the problem.

imported_JoshVette
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
How well did you prep the surface??

Did you claybar it? or polishing it at all?

Could also be that when you`re washing it, the dirt on the surface is not allowing it to bead. After you wash the car clean and re-rinse it does it bead at all then??

Josh

peterp
05-16-2009, 03:05 PM
What is your wife`s DD that would require Z-3 (for regular paint instead of clear coat)??? That could be the problem.

Sorry, my car is regular paint, hers has CC, I can never remember which is which but used Z2 on hers.

peterp
05-16-2009, 03:13 PM
How well did you prep the surface??

Did you claybar it? or polishing it at all?

Could also be that when you`re washing it, the dirt on the surface is not allowing it to bead. After you wash the car clean and re-rinse it does it bead at all then?

I did full prep -- Mothers clay and Menzerna 106FF, then ZAIO, etc. The full prep was about a year and a half ago, I`ve just kept it topped with Z2/Z5/CS every few months since the full prep.

I think you are on to something with it not beading while dirty, I just tried putting some water on it now and it does bead some, so part of it is operator error with regard to my observations. Still, I don`t find the paint very slick, and it`s difficult to remove dirt so it doesn`t seem like it protects as much as I like or would expect.

Thanks Josh and HRP for the feedback, this helps a lot.

imported_agentf1
05-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Are you experiencing a lot of pollen. Pollen is very acidic and is HARD on any LSP. I hate this time of year.

TroyGLI
05-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Did you use ZFX? I know it`s not necessary with ZAIO, but i use it with each application, i live in New orleans, brutal summers. Z2 with ZFX works for me, i also apply Z8 after each wash. I believe ZFX really hardens/bonds the polish. It better for $20 bucks.

dan46n2
05-16-2009, 06:27 PM
There isn`t a bigger Zaino fan than me and it lasts forever on my "almost" garage queen. I also used Zaino on my wife`s daily driver (ZAIO, Z5, Z3, CS) and it seems to have very poor durability. I cleaned it and applied a coat of Z5 followed by CS about 2 months ago and when I wash it now there is absolutely no water repelling like nothing is on it. Zaino is known for durability, and I`m seeing it on my other car but not sure why it performs so poorly on my wife`s car. Has anybody else experienced this? Could it be that Z5 is not durable unless followed by Z2 or 3?

You`re not alone, I find Zaino to be about average in durability compared to other sealants. If you want to try something that lasts longer give Jeff Werkstatt Acrylic Jett a try, it easily lasts 6 months on my daily driver and still beads months after that.

NSXTASY
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I suggest trying ZAIO followed by a coat or two of Z2 or Z5, pick one. ZCS may be the problem.

I am not a fan of ZCS or WOWA sealants for that matter.

jmkiang
05-16-2009, 10:09 PM
^ +1

Or do ZAIO -> Z5 w/ ZFX -> Z6 -> Z2 -> Z6

If you don`t have ZFX, just wait 12 hours and apply the Z2.

I didn`t see you use Z6 in your process, which is recommended by Sal.

imported_rydawg
05-16-2009, 10:25 PM
What kind of car is it?

Did you IPA after 106FF? If not that is one of your problems.

Keep the CS off of it this time and see what happens. Sometimes CS does not like certain paints.

bdh2009
05-17-2009, 05:01 AM
Having used the full Zaino range (minus ZCS) for over 12 months across 4 different vehicles with different garaging and driving regimes, my conclusion is that vehicles left in the open day and night are the main issue. My DD is left outside all the time and in the Brisbane sub-tropical sunlight I don’t think Zaino lasts long - probably 3-4 months. Wives vehicle in undercover generally but spends a lot of time on the road during the day with school runs etc – seems to last around 6-8 months. My BMW Garage Queen is virtually never in the sun unless being driven early morning or late afternoon – lasts 12+ months. Same with mother’s DD which is generally in the garage – also lasted 12+ months. My A$0.02 worth.

peterp
05-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. The car is in NJ, so weather is mild now and it`s a daily driver but it typically not in the sun all day. I always use Z6 between any coats, and sometimes Z8 when there is enough time. I did not use IPA after 106ff, but used ZAIO after. I have ZFX, but have not used it on this car because always have had enough time between layers.

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps a lot. Next time I will try a couple coats of Z2 using ZFX and no CS and see how that works.

Scottwax
05-17-2009, 06:47 PM
If you park under trees when it rains, that is very hard on any LSP.

Intercooled
05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I hav found that using ZFX every time works better for me. Just seems like a harder, glossier, slicker, longer lasting application.