PDA

View Full Version : M105 or equivalent in Cincy, OH - process help!

meyekj
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I`m looking for M105 or equivalent strength OTC in Cincinnati (NE side is preferred). I`ve got a black `08 Lexus IS250 with moderate swirls and holograms. Didn`t want to start too aggressively (detailing newbie), but the lesser Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze stuff just isn`t cutting it (no pun intended). Any suggestions on a process for the IS`s or in general would be appreciated. I`ll be doing the work by hand and have all day set aside this coming Friday and Saturday, if necessary. Not trying to become a pro, just want to fix my new car without spending several hundred dollars in the process (from what I`ve learned the black IS`s are notorious for swirls).

Thanks,

Kevin

Alex Boyce
05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
What products do you have now, what have you tried. How are you applying? machine or by hand? When you say lesser Mirror Glaze products, which ones are you referring to?

meyekj
05-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Everything I`ve done so far has been "by hand", which means I apply product with a foam applicator by hand and remove with a microfiber towel by hand. From a few other posts I`ve read I try to use even pressure with the palm of my hand and I work in circles, vertically, and horizontally. I`ve tried light pressure and "medium" to heavy pressure.

I wanted to start with the least agressive/cut product so I`ve tried Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 alone and when that didn`t work I stepped up the "cut" chart to Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Fine-Cut Cleaner. Still no apparent reduction in swirls or holograms. My assumption is that I need to continue to climb the "cut" chart (as shown the bottles of product I have).

I`ve read that more aggressive products should be followed be less aggressive products to continue to "even" the scratches. This makes sense to me. I`m a woodworker and the same holds true for sanding. Still I think I should see some results after each step, right?

Alex Boyce
05-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Working by hand will take a long time and your results will likely come slowly. If you can only get products OTC then try Meguiars ultimate compound.