PDA

View Full Version : Bad advise

mtmaher1
11-02-2005, 01:41 AM
I was browsing ebay and came across a kit for Klasse....
the guys "tips" included the following....

Substitute Steel Wool. Use steel wool in place of your applicator for severe oxidation on metal surfaces.

Can you say swirls and scratches?

Joe's Detail
11-02-2005, 01:45 AM
i would never use steel wool, but i have heard of people using very fine steel wool on metal and glass to get out water spots. I think it is just asking for trouble though

joe

travisdecpn
11-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Actually, he`s not too crazy, should have been more specific though. You can use "0000" steel wool to remove heavy oxidation or tarnish on chrome if necessary. Now you shouldn`t have to work the surface for a long period of time, but the steel wool will remove defects that a regular foam applicator will not.

Beemerboy
11-02-2005, 09:57 AM
I agree that he should have said on chrome and non painted or clear coated metal surfaces.

You can bet that someone is going to do this on their cars paint....

Luster
11-02-2005, 10:18 AM
You can bet that someone is going to do this on their cars paint....
You`re right ... some people just have no COMMON SENSE.

"Well, if I use steel wool on my paint, it`s got to make it shinier!" :huh:

Beemerboy
11-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Luster

I did a car last year that the gal had used steel wool on an area that had tree sap....It didn`t take long for her see that was the wrong choice....It wasn`t that bad but looked real bad to her....much like wet sanding does.....I buffed it out with a rotary and that was it.

Luster
11-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Isn`t clearcoat pretty thin? I haven`t had a need to wetsand any of my personal cars, however, I have wetsanded a couple customer cars (selected areas) and they came out fine.

I`m always a little afraid I`ll go through the clear!!! Then yur screwed! :ermm:

Beemerboy
11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Its of my understanding the clear is 3 millimeters thick...I`m with you that wet sanding is something that takes practice and caution.

Brenton
11-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Actually, clear is 2-4 mils thick; a mil is a hundredth of a millimiter.

Beemerboy
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
The my 3 mils is on the money

tubafeak
11-02-2005, 04:04 PM
For metal if you use crazily fine steel wool (0000-000000) you won`t have any problems with swirls as long as you don`t put a lot of pressure on to the pad. It does need to be more specific, laypeople (non-detailers) are going to go put some on Brillo and scrape off their whole chrome coat.

Luster
11-02-2005, 04:27 PM
laypeople (non-detailers) are going to go put some on Brillo and scrape off their whole chrome coat.

That makes me CRINGE !!!! :buck:

clicknext
11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
We`d think that it`s common sense to know that steel wool would scratch paint, but a lot of people don`t really know the softness of paint! Some think that a painted automobile`s finish is as tough as just plain metal.