PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Suede

Brs768
05-15-2009, 06:50 AM
I`m detailing a car next week that has suede on part of the seats. I was wondering what products are safe to clean suede and how I should go about cleaning it.

thanks in advance

judyb
05-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Suede is extremely rare on interiors of cars unless it is an individual hi spec interior. Generally speaking these will be alcantara or buffalo which are fabric imitations. These can be cleaned as fabric but do not use solvents and do not over wet as they can delaminate

If it is suede then do not wet clean but use a `dry` system with a na[pping brush and nubuck cloth.

GS4_Fiend
05-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Use 303 products

oski83
05-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I have actual suade inserts on my show car on the seat and door panels...I got some:

Leather Masters Foam cleaner for Suede & Alcantara

Leather Masters Nubuck Eco Protector

I was too worried about damaging Suede so I Applied on a MF and gently work product in and rub it. Blot dry w/ new clean MF towel. Then applied Protector same way and air-dried

Let me know if you need a source for product...Hope this helps ;)

judyb
05-17-2009, 11:41 PM
If you actually do have suede then `wet` cleaning is not recommended. As the top surface of the suede is so porous it simply absorbs the cleaning products and takes the dirt with it drawing it deeper into the leather.

The protector is well worth it as this will help with cleaning in the future.

Lumadar
05-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I have a custom suede interior in my car and luckily have not needed to clean it yet.

All I do is wipe them down with a microfiber (dry) from time to time. I have had a heck of a time getting a straight answer on what can be used to safely clean suede as well.

ZoomBoy
05-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Same here, well - I have alcantara in my car and I have on my "to buy" list the same products listed above by leathermasters. The only problem is I`ll pretty much be shelling out almost $80 for them as they are expensive here in Canada, or I have to pay for shipping from Detailers Domain.

imported_FJF
05-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Same here, well - I have alcantara in my car and I have on my "to buy" list the same products listed above by leathermasters. The only problem is I`ll pretty much be shelling out almost $80 for them as they are expensive here in Canada, or I have to pay for shipping from Detailers Domain.

I have Alcantera in one of my cars. Most of the time, a little water on a MF is enough to take care of a stain. If not, here are some tips from the manufacturer:

2001 A8L Headliner Cleaning Methods? - AudiWorld Forums (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=15502840)

judyb
05-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Alcantara is not leather it is fabric and needs cleaning as a fabric.

Suede should be cleaned by using a napping brush to raise the pile and then `dry` cleaned with a nubuck (tack) cloth which is drawn over the fibres to remove the dirt. Used in every direction over the fibres this will take the dirt fom all sides of the fibre. If you use a `wet` product this simply soaks into the leather (very quickly) taking any dirt with it which then cannot be extracted. It will slo take some drying out.

Once the suede has been cleaned in this fashion use a spray protector as these are very effective at keeping the suede clean in future.

Brs768
05-18-2009, 11:54 PM
thanks for all the replys, but anyway it`s my dads car im worried about his birthday is comin up and I wanna do his whole car for him.

He drives a CTS-V and it has what appears to be suede in the middle of the seats (keeps you from sliding around cause the car is a beast). I`ll find out if that is what is is for sure before I do anything