PDA

View Full Version : Vent smells after AC has been shut off

Boston Man
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I have a 2006 Civic. My vents smell like mold or musk for about a minute. But only after I shut off the A/C with the fan still on. If i dont use the A/C, it smells normal. During A/C use, it smells normal.

Should I spray some Ozium in my cabin air filter area?

AeroCleanse
05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Check the drain on the evaporator to make sure its draining correctly

oN3fastSS
05-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Or you can try this: Air Conditioner Cleaner - einszett Car Care Products (http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_air_conditioner_cleaner.html)

topnotchtouch
05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Typically AC systems have two settings to control air circulation, one to recirculate inside air which is often referred to as MAX and NORMAL which brings in outside air. I have always found that if you leave your AC on the MAX setting it tends to get moldy and stale smelling. I always leave mine on NORMAL so that fresh outside air can circulate through the system when the car is off.

Boston Man
05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Check the drain on the evaporator to make sure its draining correctly

If it wasnt draining, wouldnt it have leaked on my floor?

Or you can try this: Air Conditioner Cleaner - einszett Car Care Products (http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_air_conditioner_cleaner.html)

Thanks

Typically AC systems have two settings to control air circulation, one to recirculate inside air which is often referred to as MAX and NORMAL which brings in outside air. I have always found that if you leave your AC on the MAX setting it tends to get moldy and stale smelling. I always leave mine on NORMAL so that fresh outside air can circulate through the system when the car is off.

Yeah i have it on recirculate/max because it`s colder. But when i use regular fan, i have on normal, not recirculate.

I will use A/C normal now, see if it works

VForce
05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I have had this same issue in many of my cars including some Hondas. It`s only been the newer cars with climate control that I haven`t. I think rjstaaf hit the nail on the head. I always ran max on mine.

Good call.

jDizzle
05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
ive been thru an automotive HVAC class (just took my hvac ASE exam tuesday) sounds like mildew to me. could be from something not draining right, and even then, it you get the foam seals wet (in your blend-air door system) mildew can build up in there.. check for anything being plugged up, and they make spray stuff that u spray into your vents and it kills off the mildew.. be careful with this because some of them are harmful to the actual plastic vents, so read carefully

AeroCleanse
05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
If it wasnt draining, wouldnt it have leaked on my floor?

Not necessarily. Worth checking anyway.