PDA

View Full Version : Tree sap... I think

AKOZ
05-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi guys. I have these really small clear droplets (hashmarks) on the rear quarter of my Nitro. I think they are sap drops blown on the paint. I have went through the archives and read about goo gone and tarminator. Are these the only things that can help me with this situation? Will I have to buy a clay kit and mar my paint? I don;t have a buffer/polisher to take out the maring.

Thanks for your guidance again.

JohnKleven
05-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Isopropyl alcohol with a microfiber. You will have to rewax, or possibly polish when done.

John

SOCALEXO
05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I tried goo gone and a whole lot of other tricks but much to my surprise what worked best was good ol` meguiar`s quick detailer. Funny because I was preping the sapped area to use some harsh stuff on the sap, I spray on some of the meg`s QD just to clean up the dirt around the area to be worked. I let the QD sit for about 1 minute then went to wipe it off then WOW the sap came right off with now effort at all.

NOW I do keep my paint in relatively good condition so maybe the sap didn`t adhere to my paint as easily as it might some other car`s paint. I`m assuming the smooth finish I maintain on my car kept the sap from bonding to it.

Anywho, give a QD a try see if you have the same results.

AKOZ
05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks SOCAL I srayed with Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer right before I washed it with the NXT car wash that came with my NXT 2.0 wax. I have been using Gold Class Shampoo but, figured I`s give this a try. I think between the 2 I got most of the sap off. I will be able to see better tomorrow if that is the case. It was raining while I was washing.

08xB
05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I use Poor Boy`s Bug Squash, diluted 3:1. Hasn`t failed me yet. Also, doesn`t strip LSP`s.

AKOZ
05-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks 08xB, I will try and find that. Does it work for taking bug matter off the fake chrome grille without harm at the 3:1 ratio?

citizen arcane
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I never really had to deal w/ tree sap...until today. Thanks to those who provided suggestions on this thread as I used DG #471 Bug Remover (mixed w/ water 2:1) and lots of mf polishing cloths for removal after a traditional wash. I noticed QD did a credible job as well and both methods shouldn`t remove LSP. As a side I used QD/AW mixed 1:1 as the final pass and was very pleased w/ the results!

imported_wagonproject
06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Good suggestions. Tree sap is simple to remove. It is water based, not solvent based so you need something water based to remove it, i.e. alcohol, windex, water.... Just soak MF or Terry cloth towel in HOT water. Set the towel on top of the sap to soften it then caefully wipe off or rewash when done. The older the sap is the longer it will take to soften it and remove it.